Ocd: switching from sertraline to fluoxetine

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi everyone.

i have been taking sertraline for the past 10 years after been diagnosed with harm OCD and General anxiety disorder. Sadly i have just been left to cope over the years and developed a very all consuming ocd which controls my life on a daily basis. Recently i have had a severe mental breakdown which has included suicidal ideation. I have been under a crisis team for 5 weeks and the psychiatrist changed me from 200mg sertraline to fluoxetine (i was for two weeks taking diazepam). For 5 days the sertraline was reduced to 100mg then on day 6 i began 20mg fluoxetine. I had a week of feeling absolutely amazing with a new lease of life! the dosage has been upped to 40mg on the 16/11 and i am now suffering with severe anxiety i cant eat having palpatations whole body going hot im just wondering if this is a side effect or if im just suffering more so with my anxiety. i have no desire to do anything or even move off my sofa and just feel its not worth living.

thank you x

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

I also have been on 200mg of sertraline for 6 years. I started tapering off over the course of say 2 years and I got to 75mg but unfortunately, relapsed all my old symptoms even paranoia. I was upped to 100mg again and given a small course of diazepam, but for everyday use I was given 15mg of mirtazapine to take at night. I'm back to work soon and my anxiety is through the roof. I know how you feel. My only advice is you have been here before and got through it no matter how scary it has been. Maybe try get back to cbt therapy for reassurance. I may have to do the same. God bless.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.