Oconology referral for ovary cyst

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I had a ultrasound last week to locate my mirena (I'm due for a new one).

I was in hospital today to have the new mirena (I had to have anethesia). During my pre-surgical consult my Gyno tells me the ultrasound found an ovary cyst.

He said not to worry it's fluid filled (at this stage he didn't tell me the size)  and there's a only 1 in 100 chance it could be cancer; but he will be still referring me to an Oncologist. Needless to see the word Oncologist has shook me up.

Has anyone else had a similar referral to an Oncologist. I'm 47 if that makes a difference.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes. It's normal even if its not cancer. Since you can't biopsy an ovarian cyst before surgery, it's safest if an oncologist performs the surgery. Just in case.

I'm having surgery next Friday. I was terrified.

• Posted

hi, please get an ultrasound to learn more about the 1 cyst make sure its only one, and then understand that the chemicals in Mirena attribute to abnormal cyst and hair growth. I am SeanjariPreeti and I hope I was of some assistance to you. At 47 if you choose to not have children, please monitor your ovulation faithfully, as you approach menopause it will be very troublesome since your body and womb is full of chemicals that will not digest naturally. 
  • Posted

Sounds a bit heavy handed for a cyst! Have you had any blood tests? These surgeons can get a bit gung-ho when they get a scalpel in their hands

To misquote the sainted Victoria Wood, 'they'll whip out your ovaries and redecorate your front parlour while they are at it!😨

• Posted

Yes I was referred to an oncologist also and my c125 was normal the referring gyno said because of the mass size which are two cysts on my right ovary together measure 10cm and because of my age being postmenopausal.

I was givin a transvaginal ultrasoundand & ultrasound and showed they are simple fluid filled benign cysts. You really should ask your gyno the size and type of cyst you have I'm surprised he didn't tell you this. Simple cysts are cysts that are fluid filled which I have. You have that right to know it's your body. Don't. Worry most fluid filled cysts are benign and you will be fine.. I'm waiting on surgery schedule for this month. Take care and God Bless

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.