Ocular hypertension and Paroxetine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just for interest really.... I'm 67 and am taking Paroxetine (20mg a day). Other than this, no health problems and no family history of glaucoma (although none of my family lived beyond 63). My regular eye test two weeks ago showed my eye pressure to be 25 in each eye which is borderline for referral so I had to go back for a repeat test a week later. In the meantime, I decided to reduce my Paroxetine dosage to 10mg a day, which is just about OK for me, because the information leaflet said that I should tell my GP if I was diagnosed with glaucoma and I thought reducing the dose of Paroxetine might help reduce my eye pressure. My second test showed that the pressure was 19 in each eye so no referral needed (both times my vision field test was fine). Does anyone know if it's likely that reducing the Paroxetine dosage for just a week did have an effect on my eye pressure? I'm not overly worried, just interested!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Sounds like you should have this discussion with your eye Doc. It's all about not doing damage to your optic nerve. Your eye Doc can exam your optic nerve for signs of "cupping" of thinning of the nerve. Your field test is a baseline to keep an "eye" on potential progression and from what you say it looks good.

Your due diligence is to be commended.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.