Ocular migraine or something else?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am new to the forum, but have been helped through all of you for the last 2 years. You don't know what comfort you have given me when I was scared. Well, just when I thought I was getting better, I have been hit with the scariest symptom yet! I got home from work the other day and my eye started flashing. Then it had zigzag lines through it. It lasted 20 minutes and was gone. This happened 2 times that night and one time yesterday. I told myself it was an ocular migraine and tried to deal, but when it was over, my finger went numb for about a minute. I went to the emergency room and got checked. He thought maybe migraine or TIA. Can anyone reassure me that has gone through this before. I feel like I know you as friends even though we have never met. Thanks in advance.

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

How come with my Aura's I NEVER got a headache afterwards?

• Posted

I didn't really get a headache either. Just a dull pressure in my head. I really am at a loss what causes it because I have never had trouble with headaches my whole life

• Posted

Yes me! I started having these a few years ago, as many as six a month, I have kept a diary for the last couple of years and it seems to happen similar times but thankfully have subsided this year. My father who is 83 has them and he started getting them in his sixties, I beleieve they are occular migraines and. Common in peri/meno. X

• Posted

I had another one last night after watching t.v. I have had 4 in 3 days. It scares me every time even though I try to tell myself that other people have this same problem. Maybe I will get used to it? I have grown used to lots of other scary symptoms, but for some reason this one is the worst. I am sorry you have this too. My cousin, who is also 48, said she has had hundreds of these in 3 years. She doesn't seem to worry about it. I really do think it is yet another horrible peri symptom that will someday be over. Thanks for responding and letting me know I'm not alone!

• Posted

Yes try not to worry, I know it is hard, I did have a mri scan at my request and they didnt see any worrying signs. My daughter who is 27 has had a few and it worried her but i think with all these phones and computers they all can trigger them. They say it isnt normally one thing but a combination of things. My triggers have been stress, lack of sleep, rose wine, late nights, lights which inincluded phone light especially looking in darkened room, fridge lights, even car lights when driving, i think alllergies and dry eyes can trigger them too. I have written about them before on here and its surprising how many women suffer with them in menopause . It's funny you said about the tv, that has triggered mine too, especially in a darkened room x

• Posted

I hope this is not going to last long. I thought about just giving up TV for a while but decided against that. I refuse to have everything I enjoy taken from me by these crazy hormones. I guess we will keep going and doing our best. Wishing you a zigzag free day!😊

• Posted

Yes I hope you dont have too many, I had some for a while and had a break of a year or so, might have been longer but they did return. I hope you dont get too stressed about them, I did at first but got use to them in the end, here's to a zig zag free day!, month and even better a year!

• Posted

i am 50 and have two of these in the last month im

so scared. i had them 20 years ago and the trigger was dehydration. should i go to the doctor?

• Posted

Had my first around age 30 & thought I was having a stroke. Since then I get them sporadically, migraine with aura. They are not my most painful migraines, however they are certainly disconcerting. My poor daughter had her first one around age 13, and she had 2 outer fingers go numb as well - because of that symptom, I took her to emerg to be certain, as she had not had this type of migraine before and the numbness was something different. Same diagnosis of migraine with aura. When I get these now, I know it's my warning to take an analgesic to ward off the headache - I'm usually just left with a "thick head" after 20-30 minutes. Hope you get relief from these - I now will get little ones, with tiny dots of the aura, very similar to the visual shown when you get your eyes tested at the optometrist (little circles of wavy blur). I definitely have had spells of more frequent migraine with auras, however my visual disturbances and symptoms have been less frequent (age 51). Should note that I have also had vitreous detachments in both of my eyes (lots of colourful lightening bolts on periphery/lots of spider webbing prior), and was given signs to look out for retinal detachments. Can feel similar to auras, or vitreous detachments, but more vision loss with "black pepper or blackness" as predominant symptom.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.