Odd feeling in feet

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi  I've had PMR for just over  a year and am currently reducing from 5mg to 4mg having started at 20mg.  For some time now I have been experiencing a strange feeling in my feet as if the skin is being pulled really tight, especially when I move my toes.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I've also recently developed what I think might be bursitis at the top of my right leg making it extremely uncomfortable to walk and also gives me the feeling of being slightly off balance.  Could this be anything to do with PMR or is it a separate issue?  Since starting to rduce from 5mg to 4mg I've felt slightly stiff first thing in the morning but it passes off within a couple of hours so I'm assuming this is due to withdrawal rather than the PMR returning.  Any comments gratefully received.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I have been almost one year and currently down to 7mg per day but do split mine 5mg in the morning and 2 before bedtime helps with morning  stiffness. I have never felt anything in my feet though maybe someone else has 
  • Posted

Hi Fran

You are very fortunate to have reduced so quickly. Quite frankly to quick. Your drop right now should only be 0.5mg at most using the dead slow method.

My feet are effected by pmr and have been since day one. I would say it could be pmr and your dropping to fast and symptoms are returning so be careful you may have to go back up. Remember this is not a race you need to control the inflammation.

Good luck

• Posted

Fran2498, be very careful you are in a dangerous area of reducing your your Phedinsone. There several ways to reduce at this level, I will go much slower if and when I get that low again. Had a bad relapse and go to 30 mg to get the PMR pain free.
  • Posted

Perhaps you are accumulating fluid in the feet.....? Which might explain the weird pulling sensation when flexing your toes. Pred. Does cause edema. Stiffness sounds PMR, one sided hip pain could be a separate issue but needs checking out.
    • Posted

My PMR definitely affect one side more than the other, buy hip and shoulder; mostly right side.
  • Posted

Both foot pain and hip bursitis are often found in PMR and it is possibly a sign you have reduced to too low a dose to manage the inflammation. The stiffness might be steroid withdrawal - but if it is it will fade slowly as your body gets used to the new dose. If it doesn't you have to accept that you had got to the dose your body needed to manage your PMR at 5mg. 

Are you using the Dead Slow reduction plan as you say "starting to reduce"?

• Posted

EileenH, my wife bought me a Fitbit, been doing my walk around the pond, did 6,081 step yesterday, I have had 5000 step goal, and feeling good. If this continues Blood Test First of week and drop to 27 1/2. I do want to start tapering down!
  • Posted

Oh my, you have just described how I 've been feeling.....right foots skin so tight, but not swollen, and pain at top of right leg.... I m on 10mg at present..will reduce to 9 next week, have had last three appointments cancelled by rhumie, as she's poorly, so haven't been able to discuss this... I think its just prm, not steroids, but that's only my thinking, and I could be so wrong.... take care

• Posted

It is possible that your feet feel that way because of inflammation. If they are slightly swollen it might not be noticeable by the eye but still feel tight because of swelling.
    • Posted

That could be very true, as I lost a lot of sight due to GCA in September last year.... at least I can't see the cat hairs now from my very long haired cats!!! .. x

• Posted

Yes Fran! That completely describes the feeling in my feet as well except I have not started any Pred yet...still waiting on a dx....eye roll...feet and hands horrible pain..my feet always feel "tight" ESP when I roll my toes but they are not visibly swollen...so strange....good luck to you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.