Odd feeling in head

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, I'm new here. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but over the last week I have been experiencing some very strange symptoms within my head and body. Prior to this I had a virus and tonsillitis but I have made a full recovery.

It all started when I started to feel like pressure within my head and I had some small headaches which weren't that bad, that passed and now more recently I've started to feel emotionless,detatahced, hardly no expression in my face, slightly heavy head, losing interest in the things I use to love, I don't feel tired at all but I've been sleeping quite a lot lately, today I woke up at 7am and stayed awake for 2 hours and then fell asleep until 3.30pm, it also feels like there's a cloud over my judgment and my memory has been massively effected.

I haven't been sick or had anymore headaches.

I was wondering if anyone might have an idea of what I'm experiencing ?

Thanks

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rowan,

do you suffer from anxiety or depression?   Have you been dealing with any difficult events in your life? The symptoms are very common with those conditions. I had those symptoms starting in my 20s. I had all kinds of medical tests done and they were all normal. My symptoms are from anxiety,  which I have had for as long as I can remember. Don't let your symptoms scare you because anxiety symptoms cannot hurt you they are just very strange and feel weird. I always recommend following up with her doctor just to get things  checked out and then when your test comes out OK you'll feel a little better. The main thing is learning how to manage anxiety if you have it.  Let me know because if you have anxiety and or depression and I'll share with you some of the things that have helped me over the years! Hope you feel better soon. 

• Posted

Id like to know how u cope. Im dealing with it daily an today was bad. I felt like i am dying
    • Posted

Sure....so first  like I said it started in my 20s and I wanted to let you know I am now in my 50s and surviving! So the symptoms cannot hurt you they are just very very annoying.  But I went for years allowing the negativity and anxiety to run my life instead of making a conscious decision to fight it and not let it ruin my life! 

sorry this is so long there's just so much I want to tell you. 

I'm a former nurse and  I don't like taking medication for this because I don't want to depend on it, however in the beginning I did have a prescription for Xanax but only took like a quarter of it just to take the edge off the anxiety and symptoms. When it got really bad . 

i'm not taking it anymore.

Also have patience  because  it can take a little while to get it under control but at least you'll be in the process of managing it.   I use several techniques  but you can use whatever seems to help you. 

.  After you have seen your doctor and got a clean bill of health which is what I did then: 

1.  what I did was first of all speak with a counselor. They see this on a daily basis and have the tools to help you manage this. Anxiety and stress is difficult to manage on our own and it really helps to talk to someone else. I keep going even when I start to feel  better because it's like a lifeline for me. Find a counselor you feel comfortable with. Remember....FEAR  stands for false evidence appearing real.   Which means sometimes when we have symptoms we think they are related to some terrifying disease, when in reality the odds are much higher that they are not.   Our minds  will go to the negative if we let it, so we must be in control.

Don't let fear take you over! Be a fighter for yourself! BE Persistent!

2.   Secondly, I go to Google or YouTube and look up meditative audios on anxiety or negativity. I put in my earbuds and lie down and listen to them. They completely  calm down my brain and body to the point where I almost feel like I'm floating. This is such a great thing to do for your brain and overall health. I do this a couple times a day  specially when I'm laying down to sleep. There are many to choose from just pick the ones that you like.  When  I go on my walks I listen to the ones about positive affirmations and they really help me a lot! There's many on YouTube just find the ones you like. 

it will just calm everything down when you  are having an acute anxiety attack 

3.   Stay active! The worst thing you can do is sit around and think too much about all this. It will bring on more anxiety. As well as the symptoms. When I exercise my body completely calms down and the symptoms often go completely away. 

3.   Stay social! This helps keep your mind off your worries. The less you are alone the better at least until you manage your anxiety. Just do things that you enjoy. 

4.   When  feeling anxious or anytime you'd like, do deep breathing. Breathing through your nose for about five seconds and make sure your stomach rises. Then exhale through your lips as though you're blowing out a candle slowly for another five seconds. Do this as many times a day as you need to. It helps if you're lying down but you can also do  it's sitting. 

5.    Eat healthy! Stay away from processed foods especially sugar. Sugar has an inflammatory response including in the brain. This will just increase your anxiety and can possibly bring on depression. 

6.  If I negative thought or anxiety comes into your mind, acknowledge it, then release it and imagine it floating away on a dark cloud or something like that. Don't try to fight it off or get anxious that will make everything worse. 

As horrible as anxiety symptoms feel, THEY CANNOT  kill you!   I have had them for many many years on and off and now I pretty much ignore them but I do try to stay as healthy as possible and do those  things I listed above.

The meditation audios really are excellent please try them and do them often 

another thing that is very informative on this topic is the mindfulness meditation book. It really gives insight as to what causes anxiety and anxious thinking resulting in these awful symptoms.  It shows us how to overcome all of it. There's also classes in mindfulness but they can be costly.

Remember…doctors can only do so much regarding anxiety because they can't see it or find it in a lab test or an x-ray. So a lot of them are not much help. That's why I highly recommend a good counselor .   many of them use CBT which is cognitive behavioral therapy. This also teaches you how to manage the anxiety by helping us become aware of how we are thinking and how that can create anxiety. A lot of people have been helped by this. 

You will be fine  once you get this under a little control.  You will have a long great life and you deserve peace and happiness.   It takes work on our part and don't worry about little setbacks here and there because the more you practice these things the more control you have over the anxiety and symptoms and eventually they will become less and less. 

I hope this helped you a little bit at least.  I could go on  to explain the physical reasons for the symptoms but  you're probably trying to stay awake reading all of this ! 🤣

• Posted

The reason I wanted to share this with you is because I wasted about 25 years of my life without getting any help for my anxiety and stress. I was in a constant state of anxiety with  symptoms and no help. I don't want this to happen to you guys because I'm sure you are young and you have a chance to get started on this now and get it under control. stay positive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.