Odd rash patch, identical on both arms

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had an odd roundish rash in the same place on both arms for a few months now. I've been to see a pharmacist twice and tried a steroid cream (1 week, made no difference) and a moisturising cream for eczema (2 weeks, no effect)

the rash is dry and extremely itchy as well as warm to the touch. you can feel the heat coming off the rash through a shirt.

Any ideas what this could be?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

why are these things so baffling for doctors? its like we are on our own and trying desperately to find our way. i too have a large rash where you can feel the heat off it. what is it and whats the cause?

• Posted

Have you changed washing detergent, shower gel or even used a different scent? There is a preservative called Methylisothiazolinone which comes from a group of preservatives that 10 percent of the population are allergic to. They all end in zolinone, some people get skin irritation and others breathing disorders. If it isn't in anything you use to wash or soften you clothes with, look at the ingredient list of cleaning products you use to clean your bath or work surfaces. This preservative can even be in sun lotion, shampoo/conditioner, baby wipes or even some make up.

I had a very bad reaction to it years ago, when I was on holiday and it was in my sun lotion, I used steroid cream, antihistamines and I still couldn't get rid of the painful rash until a couple of weeks after I came home.

• Posted

thankyou, yes i went for allergy tests and i reacted strongly to MI and MiT which you are correct is in many products. The body shops products do not contain these chemicals so is a great place to shop.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.