Odd reaction to Shingrix

Posted , 3 users are following.

I got my 2nd vaccine a few days ago. I went through the usual side effects, however, I woke up this morning with part of my arm bruised and swollen. What's odd about it is it's not at the injection site. It's much further down my arm, around mid-upper arm. I didn't have this with the first shot.

Is this normal?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

DesY:

I too had some flu like symptoms after the first shot as did my husband. However; neither of us had any symptoms after the 2nd shot. As far as bruising goes, I've seen a lot of people have bruising near the injection site after the Shingles shot but I don't recall anyone having bruising away from the actual injection? Maybe someone in our discussion has more input on that?

Have a good day!

• Posted

Hi Des Y,

When an individual receives an injection in the arm, the needle penetrates soft tissue including blood vessels. The person giving the injection most likely nicked a smallish blood vessel, which eventually seeped by gravity downward and superficially to the skin. It happens, and is no big deal. If you take aspirin, NSAIDS, blood thinners, have liver disease, or a clotting disorder, the bruise could be somewhat worse. When nurses give injections, we sometimes hit a blood vessel.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.