Odd symptoms

Posted , 6 users are following.

My anxiety these days isnt as bad as it used to be 18 - 20 months or so ago  - and on reflection I have realised a lot of the unpleasant symptoms I had that you mightn't normally associate with anxiety... then they mainly cleared up as I improved (slowly). Just things, for example, such as feeling sick/retching at the slightest thing, pursing my lips tight, feeling unreal and scared of certain (mostly new) environments (like they were sinister, and weird, like in a bad dream, and would give me a gut feeling of unease and dread but for no reason). Also - at work, always wanting to be by the door, having to rush out and hide in the toilets as I felt so odd, yet trying to keep it hidden from others.

Anyone else had physical or mental symptoms which non-sufferers may not associate with anxiety? Just strange sensations etc? Getting better now - and its only now I can really reflect on these with a clear(ish) head!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I recognise a lot of your symptoms, if not all of them. My strangest has been bad tatse in mouth, dry mouth and lump in throat. Those are unpleasant!
  • Posted

Well as of now im having bad reflux problems that I think my anxiety made worse, I get the lump in the throat feeling,  always feel like the worst is wrong with me, like now im having bad pains in my arms and legs like its in my bones 
  • Posted

Feeling unreal got a hold of me for a few months, I remember waking up one morning convinced nothing was real,depersonalisation is best known for this. It realy scared me I couldn't go out the house for weeks. 
    • Posted

Hi Dave - did it pass by itself or did you get treatment? It's so hard to explain to non-sufferers what it's like. Talking it over with the GP helped i found. 
    • Posted

It passes, talking about it seem to help me but it gave me huge panic attacks so I was on diazapam for a couple weeks. Just to calm me down, I know exactly how it feels, I still get times now where i think nothing is actually real, but I know I've gotten through it before so it helps.
  • Posted

Were you treated for it or just do self help to improve as much as you have?
    • Posted

Hi Derek, yes, presribed propranalol which was ok, nothing amazing, but helped a bit. Just been prescribed sertraline - my anxiety hasnt gone totally but its better than it was (was awful at one stage in 2012 and wish I had been prescribed something stronger then, but wasnt). However, a lot of it cleared up by itself, slowly. Finding out that your symptoms are just anxiety and you arent insane can also help.
  • Posted

My anxiety keeps throwing new things at me its only been a month since I had my first panic attack and 3 weeks since being put on hydroxyzine for my anxiety but its like ill be sort of ok 1 day then the next some other symptom hits me like this week has been horrible bloating and acid reglux then today ive been having really bad pains in my arms
  • Posted

Depersonalisation is so common with anxiety, but I've got to say it's the most distressing thing in the world. It hit when I was 16, now 20 years later and it still terrifies me!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.