Odd symptoms

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I have recently been diagnosed hyper after collapsing in the ED at work with a tachy 160 and resp rate 50+ pain in calves and excessive tiredness. I can't remember my bloods but they hadn't changed much at my 6 week blood test and I am still on 30mg Carbimazole OD and 20mg propanolol tds. I have suffered from constipation for the last 3-4 months for the first time in my life and then one or 2 episodes of explosive bowel movements followed by constipation again for a week. My weight is stable since diagnosis, but before that since xmas I had put on a stone for no reason. I have very puffy watery eyes which my gp put down to hay fever which I don't normally get but its been a really bad year apparently. He gave me some drops for itchy eyes, but they dont itch they water and feel bruised behind them. Most of my symptoms seem hypo rather than hyper. It it possible they have mis diagnosed me or does anyone else have odd bowels all of a sudden?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Tsh was < 0.001 i think my t4 was over 29. something and t3 about 19+. can't remember the exact numbers. 0.001="" i="" think="" my="" t4="" was="" over="" 29.="" something="" and="" t3="" about="" 19+.="" can't="" remember="" the="" exact="">
    • Posted

I was initially prescibed 15mg Carbimazole, but my consultant wrote to me and increased this to 40 before she saw me. By the time I met her my results had gone to FT4 = 44 and FT3 to 9.8. The endo reduced the dose to 20mg.

I haven't had another yet. But I haven't been taking 20, I don't like taking pills and that one leaves me constantly ravanous!

• Posted

Hello, 

At my first diagnosis my FT4 was over 100 and my FT3 was over 45 and I had progressive symptoms similar to yours, the explosive bowel movements were so not fun followed by constipation, but it wasn't anywhere near the emergency level  for me so the symptoms seem strong releative to the bloodwork. That's just me btw and I'm a total layperson, I realise everyone is different.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. How has your disease progressed and how are you now.
  • Posted

Hi Sarah,

I have suffered from constipation for years long before I got Graves disease but I understand usually untreated Graves causes more frequent bowel movements.  Perhaps the medication is causing the constipation.  The dose of medication seems very high.  I am wondering if they are basing the medication dosing on TSH value rather than FT3 and FT4?  The eye problems sound like TED (thyroid eye disease) and range from bulging eyes, blurred vision to just dry, red or watery eyes.  I had the latter and have to use eye drops daily.  Also my ophthalmologist inserted collage plugs into my tear ducts to keep more moisture in them.  It's always a good idea for Graves patients to be followed by an ocular surgeon/ophthalmologist.  The more severe cases of TED do require surgery.  There's a lot you can do to help achieve remission.  Most Graves patients suffer from vitamin, mineral and amino acid deficiencies when their thyroids have been running so high so replacing these with supplements is very helpful to achieving remission.  The two that are really important are Vitamin D (take vitamin D3 supplements) and carnitine.  I was tested and found to be deficient in both of these.  There was a research study done that showed that hyperthyroid patients benefitted from taking L-Carntine, 3.000 to 4,000 mg a day along with their meds.  The other two I was deficient in were Magnesium.  With the eye disease, you can be tested for selenium and if deficient take replacement.  You don't want to take too much of this however, so keeping it within normal range is important.  Secondly dietary changes to include absolutely no amount of the artificial sweetener Aspartame, as it is known to be detrimental to Graves patients.  Avoid sugar and eat a diet in fresh fruits, vegetables and proteins.  Reduce or eliminate gluten foods.  All of this helps to normalze your values.

• Posted

I am fairly good now with my Graves.  My labs are the best they have ever been.  I am on 2.5 mg of Methimazole and my antibodies have normalized.  My doc has given me the choice to stop my meds.  My eyes still tend to be dry but with dailly drops, they are okay.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with a hyperactive thyroid (similar results to yours I think) and thyroid eye disease about two years ago. An over active bowel and bladder were just some of the symptoms. I was eating a lot, constantly hungry and losing weight. It seemed to flare up very quickly and my eyes also started to get sore, were puffy and watered a lot. They also seemed to be staring or bulging - I was diagnose with Thyroid eye disease, (TED) which seems to develop a life of its own. There is no cure for this only treatment to minimise the effects. I would ask your doctor to check this eye problem out asap. It helps if your doctor(s) or Endo can get the thyroid stabilised. Hay fever has different symptoms to TED. My TED was a severe case and I am still having treatments. the disease eventually burns itself out after 2 -3 years or so they tell me. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.