Odd symptoms

Posted , 4 users are following.

As I;ve mentioned elsewhere I am now in Stage 5 CHD. The last couple f days I have felt breathless and am getting 'odd' palpitations in the right side of my chest (stabbing type pain).  Doesn't last long but its been 'regular'.  In the past I have had 3 episodes of sepsis as well as low potassium, magnesium, iron and severe anaemia.  Other than being breathless, which is linked to the anemia I feel oddly well but have this feeling that all isn't as it seems like I may have another infection building.

I feel that I should visit A&E (Tooting, London - As Seen Ob TV! ) as I'm certain my GP might send me there anyway. I'm feeling very indicisive about going. On ne hand there is something wrong (call it intuition) on the other its Saturday night and its likely to be drunk central!  I need a decision but cant make one.  Has anyone been along 'tis road?

Incidently.  I'm worried about another sepsis episode as I'm adrenal insufficient and need to take hydrocortisone.  Having that and CKD isn't good news. 

Value advice

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

For me, I error on the side of caution. I thought I was just having problems shaking an intestinal bug last December. It lasted 6-7 weeks.

While it clearly started as an intestinal bug it transitioned into deteriorating renal function at some point. My kidneys had been stable with 28-30 GFR. By the end of my intestinal problems my renal function has deteriorated to 14-15 GFR.

So, now I error on the side of caution and arrive at my Internist's office whenever I'm experiencing something unusual. While I'll never know for sure, I wish I would have gotten in to my Internist last December--I might still have more renal function if I had.

Marj

• Posted

Hello Again,

I would definitely go and get yourself checked.  When you make the appointment make sure that they know about your situation so that they can see you quickly.  I do hope that you are being treated for the anaemia.  I take EPO and have had intravenous iron.  I am also prescribed 3 monthly vitamin B12 injections and folic acid tablets. This keeps the anaemia at bay and I feel better and much less breathless.  It's not as scary as it sounds!  I hope you have some support, because otherwise it is a lonely journey.

• Posted

Hi LynQ

Thank you for the kind reply.  I'm on EPO monthly jabs for anaemia. Plus have had one transfusion of iron.  Even though I feel better I am still extremely tired.

In addition to stage 5 CKD I have CHD (angina) and am adrenal insufficient.  My bloods need checking I think as I've had periods where potassium goes critically low and magnesium hits basement level too. I've had 3 doses of sepsis over 2 years with 2 episodes in the last 12 months on one occasion my legs seriously lost the will to walk and the bladder central control went on strike hence me being an Olympic sprint worrier

The staff at St Georges A&E are wonderful and would tell me to get on my bike if they though I shouldn't be there

• Posted

I always find it difficult to distinguish between CKD related and age related tiredness.  I'm 75- CKD Stage 4 (end of) and often tired these days. Glad that St Georges is your local hospital- mime is in special measures at the moment and staff are leaving in droves as it might be closed down.  I hope that you  get your current problem diagnosed.  Look after yourself and good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.