Odema really bad and inflammation very bas

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am nearly 3 months post op; been doing well bed 135 straight -4 driving; been back at work from 4 weeks post op. Boom felt uncomfortable and in pain since the weekend; didn’t think much of it as was cutting back on pain killers but dear me today my leg is full of fluid from knee to toes; really bad inflammation over knee and burning. Physio has put me on complete rest; has anyone else had this please. I’m a little concerned why this has happened. It’s also looking very bruised. 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Can’t give any answer but hoping you are feeling better soon. Frightening 
    • Posted

Thank you and disappointing but one step back then hopefully three forward. 
  • Posted

Did your therapist advise anti inflammatories? Something like a couple of Aleve every 12 hrs might help. Go back to icing and elevation. This is one of those 1 step backward we talk about. You're probably just paying the piper for over doing things. Gove it a few days rest and if it doesn't go down, call your Dr.

• Posted

Four weeks and back to work?  I think you will hear a universal groan from everyone on here.  That is, in my opinion, waaaaay too soon.  The knee has only started its healing process.  You cannot push a knee to recovery.  When you try, it swells and you get a lot of pain.  This is a universal truth about TKR recoveries.  Push it and you get "balloon knee".  Want to avoid that?  Don't push it.  Simple.

At 5 weeks, I did 8,500 steps on my fit bit one day.  Balloon knee for the next three.  Do you wear a pedometer of some type?  If not, you have no idea where you daily limit is right now.  Get one.  Track your steps.  Increase gradually.  Get a balloon knee one day?  Note the steps.  Back off, ice, elevate and resume...gradually.  Know your limit and then extend it...gradually.  The whole recovery takes a year.  Keep pushing it and you're in for a world of pain...

• Posted

Thank you CHICO; sadly I had no option but to go back as I had not worked there long enough for full sick pay. I will back off now and rest and ice again. Thank you
  • Posted

Hi, I'm 2 1/2 months post op for RTKR. I've just started noticing a grinding feeling and sound when i stand up or sit down. It has some pain associated with the noise. Just wondering if this is normal healing process? I rest and elevate and ice whenever i can. Im back to work so it's hit or miss on that. Any suggestions?

• Posted

A re you continuing to do your excerces daily? You have to con t one to strengthen the soft tissue to hold the prosthesis in place, otherwise you will have some of this inconvience for a longer period of time.
    • Posted

My Dr kept telling me it's normal, I've read lots of posts saying their Dr says the same thing. He said "you're doing great, see you in six months" when I was at the same point you are. At 6 months my knee was rattling, clunking, and swelling. Then he said "Oh my goodness! I've never seen anything like that." Same response from 3 other Drs. Best guess is the plastic piece is too small and the knee is swelling to compensate. I don't like guesses. He drained 40  and 45 cc of fluid from my knee 7 days apart and now wants to go back in to see if he can fix it. Not sure who would pay for that. keep after your Dr, don't let him blow you off. 

• Posted

Thank you I’m fortunate that I’m seeing an extremely good consultant Physio therapist. He has put me on rest, ice and elevation it’s gradually going down a little bit; but I’ve learnt from this to take things a little slower.
  • Posted

You go back to work when you have to, I was back at 3 to 4 weeks and taking care of my 102 year old mother. Ice, exercises (stretching), rest when you can. I'm 17 months post TKR for R knee and still having swelling and pain along with loud noises when I walk. Not sure what I'm going to do. I'm looking into stem cell therapy for my L and to possibly fix the R. 

• Posted

I’m 9 weeks out on pkr. My leg is swollen above my knee all the way to my ankle. I’m experiencing a pain level of 5 every step I take . Am doing PT and that usually makes it worse . 3 weeks ago the bruising was so bad I went to ER. Bruising is completely gone now . I did knee bends too soon and felt like I tore my quad muscle but doc said I didn’t. At two weeks out I went for an almost half mile walk because there wasn’t any pain . After that and knee bends I have plenty of pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.