Odor coming from the labia

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone else have LS on their labia and have an odor coming from it as the day goes on?  Maybe because of the combo of clob and my natural odor?  It's not BV as it doesn't smell like fish … and when I finger myself (ugh!), there is no odor that comes from the vagina.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Could be, I suppose. In my case it's BV that comes and goes. Gyn says AV caused by too little estrogen as is LS. Fluctuating estrogen causing changes in PH which causes this phantom BV. Lucky me. Not being able to use soap doesn't help.

Shouldn't think finger in vagina is disgusting. Women get brainwashed. Without vaginas there would be no mammals on the planet! Not to mention how unahppy men would be wink

• Posted

Jackie, just checking: you have been diagnosed with LS with a Biopsy?  How long have you been using the Clob, and, was the a time when you were using Clob that the odor was not present?

I am a male with LS and the strong odor was a symptom that I had not responded to for many years.  It was only in recent years that I stopped using soap and made sure I was 100% dry after washing with water only after urinating and following sexual arousal that the odor completely disappeared or is sometimes minimal in comparison to what it once was.

There are many Ladies on here who swear by particular spray washes after toilet visits - so hopefully you will get some suggestions on what to mix and how to use ....

• Posted

HI Jackie,  I did have a really strange odor that I have never had before and attributed to a rotting wound down under.  I doubt if it is an internal issue, but rather a surface issue. My gyn didn't know what I was talking about.  I don't know how I got rid of it, but I did.  May have been with the healing process. I have been using Emu oil soap which is great.  You might want to try soaking in either baking soda or borax, which has been mentioned numerous times on this forum with much success.  I wish you well on this miserable journey.

• Posted

"Miserable" is right, Susan! And to think I lived 64 years without even hearing about LS.

• Posted

Yeh, me too.  All those little pamphlets in our gyn's offices telling how wonderful menopause can be and it's a great time in our lives.  HA!!! They didn't mention possible issues to look out for.  I know pre menopausal women get LS too, but....  you know what I mean.  

• Posted

I do indeed know what you mean.  YOU don't think menopause is wonderful and a great time?  HA!!! I feel wonderful all the time and always go around having a great time!  Growing older has brought all kinds of "little surprises" that came out of nowhere.  First Essential Tremor and now LS, just to name a few. I'd love to give that pamphlet writer a piece of my mind about telling the truth about menopause!

• Posted

Well, you have to admit not menstruating is a gift. Maybe the only one, but once hormones stopped affecting my brain and body I found it very freeing. The end of headaches for one thing! The rest is probably just aging and people have always had to deal with that (assuming they lived long enough). Our generation is just more open and vocal about it. Baby Boomers don't want to get old! More warning of potential problems would have been good, but menopause used to be treated like a disease (hence the HRT that caused cancer) so they tried to shift the thinking to making it a natural part of aging. Women's wisdom and all that. 

We just have to get on top of this stuff and figure out what works. Three years ago a doctor gave me such dire warnings about AV (even suggesting it could lead to cancer) I left her office completely gobsmacked. She just piled it on a bit too heavy. I didn't use the hormone cream she prescribed as my sister was dying of breast cancer (HRT) and I thought if I don't feel any ill effects of AV, maybe I can just age normally. Turns out I was wrong. But at least I can advise other women who are confused about it. Not to say that all of us using hormone cream now won't end up with vulvar cancer. Who knows? We are essentially the study group like the women taking the HRT were. Remember they used to say we needed it for all sorts of reasons? At the time of menopause my gyn was disgusted with me for not taking it. Then they stopped the nurses study because of all the breast cancer cases. Ironically, that gyn died of breast cancer. She was SO pro HRT I'm sure she was using it.

Also, we are in the minority. Not all women have serious problems with AV and certainly most do not have LS. We picked the short straw, but we are dealing with it. I am trying to keep a positive attitude, but I know my symptoms are nothing compared to others who are suffering badly. 

But we have to keep the faith and continue to search for what works for us. 

As my brother-in-law says "at least we're looking down at the grass and not up at it".

• Posted

Well … sometimes it's hard to keep the faith! I think I'd rather still be menstruating if it meant I didn't have LS. At least I had natural estrogen.  And no, Beverly, I'm not so sure we are in the minority with LS … just the most vocal.  What is AV? Or do I even want to know for fear I'll "get it"?  Some days I just feel like screaming over this LS.  My t**t is all I think about any more, and I'm pretty durn sick of it!

• Posted

I think this has been explained on here if I remember right, here is something I Googled:

" Postmenopausal atrophic vaginitis, or vaginal atrophy, is the thinning of the walls of the vagina caused by decreased estrogen levels. This most commonly occurs after menopause. "

• Posted

Vaginal atrophy (or atrophic vaginitis). I'm surprised anyone with LS wouldn't be aware of it. I think all women have AV after menopause to a degree. Some of us have it to the point that it requires using hormone cream to keep serious problems from developing.

For instance, according to my new gyn my lack of estrogen brought on my LS. So presumably had I started using the estrogen cream 3 years ago when I was told I had AV I would probably not now be dealing with LS. I thought I should avoid hormones if I could and just age naturally. Clearly that has not been the case for me.

• Posted

Beverly, you are aware of Nancy KB's posts on LS being an Autoimune condition, the role of Diet and the need for Vitamin and Food Mineral Supplements? If so, it is up to us as sufferers to challenge mis-information in medical professionals - even though this may be difficult to do at times as they always run each consultation like a scripted agenda from which they financially benefit.

So yes, in this instance a lack of estrogen certainly would not have helped for you. But then suggesting this could have "been a cause" of your LS is perhaps ignoring ALL the other essential factors in the condition being present for all of us sufferers.

I don't know whether this is part of the Medical Profession simply ignoring, or not wanting to admit just what it is that our modern diets are doing to us in terms of the havoc it creates for many of us, and not just us who are suffering LS but many other conditions as well?

• Posted

Wee, The gyn did tell me LS was an autoimmune disease, not that it was just a case of low estrogen. Using hormone cream has pretty much reversed my AV and the steroid done the same with the LS, though it is pretty difficult to tell which is doing what exactly as I have stopped using neither the estradiol or the steroid.

I am not making any pronouncements of what has or has not caused others to have LS or what will help them with it. I'll leave that for others.

So far my experience is that the steroid cream had an immediate effect on my LS. Whether this will last or not I have no idea. I tried an essential oil product that ( recommended by a poster) which proved to be detrimental if anything and I have posted such. Clearly people experience this disease differently and have different reactions to various treatments be they those recommended by doctors or otherwise.

My gyn's opinion is that none of these will cure the condition, only alleviate it and from what I have deduced from reading many posts is that this is the case.

Yes, I have seen Nancy's post.

• Posted

Surprised you have not learned of Atrophic Vaginitis (vaginal atrophy) being on this site. In my case the AV was diagnosed ( 3 years) before the LS. Makes sense to me they would come in that order. I think all women have AV to a degree after menopause. Things just start drying out, etc. Less estrogen. Some women have more of a problem than others. Having sex is supposed to keep the area more flexible, encourage blood flow etc, but obviously partnered women have issues trying to have sex and they also get AV to the point that it makes sex impossible. 

The LS is an added problem I may have read about here, but didn't give much thought to as the AV never really bothered me. Clearly some women have more problems with it. Maybe my problems were just waiting for the right time. But I have to admit the LS hasn't been bad either. Maybe it was caught in time? Seems to be responding well to the steroid and as I said the estrogen for the AV just seems to make the whole area plumper and more normal (younger?) looking and feeling.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.