Oedema in leg and foot....

Posted , 7 users are following.

Good morning my lovelies

I have a question for all of you who have or have had Osteoarthritis - did you ever notice that the swelling (fluid) in your knee migrated to your lower leg and foot? My unoperated knee has severe OA, and I have marked swelling in my calf and foot, as well as around the knee. No pain associated with it, apart from my OA pain in the knee.

I dont remember this happening with the TKR knee, and was just wondering if anyone else had?? I dont want to bother with a GP visit if its a run of the mill symptom. 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have had bad osteoarthritis in my knees and my right ankle for many years but it does not spred in the way you are describing.

I had TKR of my left knee 3 years ago which was very successful.

If it persists I would go to GP after all that is what they are thee for.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Thanks Sarah, Ive made an appointment to see her next week if it doesnt get any better, I've just been trying to reduce the number of times I see her - you know youre a regular when she tells you to use her first name instead of Doctor redface

However, shes absolutely lovely so I never mind seeing her, unlike some GP's Ive had in the past! 

• Posted

I have two rounded swellings on my TKR knee, half way down the leg, towards the LHS. I asked the new consultant I am seeing (I have SO many problems) what they were, & he answered "I don't know". They are like small lumps, about 3" across & wide. They don't hurt when pressed, but bounce back to a swelling again! I had OA in both knees - boy, am I holding on to my real left knee. Never, ever again.
    • Posted

Hi Veronica, isnt it strange how peoples experiences differ? My TKR hasnt been a walk in the park by any stretch of the imagination (I'm 15 weeks post op) but I cant wait to get the 2nd one done! Its sooooo painful and its made progress slow with the 1st one so I just want it done and over with, so I can start to get my life back on track! My Consultant is one who wont consider further surgical intervention until at least 6 months after the first, so got to hang on a while yet......
    • Posted

Sadly mine is misaligned, & I am on the waiting list for a revision - which I am told is worse than the primary operation, as it's longer & recovery is possibly slower. Just one of the 1-2% that fail I'm afraid! No way do I want another year out of my life wasted by agreeing to have the other leg done!. It's 8 months since the 1st TKR. & I bet it will be a year before the revision is done because of waiting lists. Finally got my GP to give me sleeping tablets, collected them today, & can't wait for sleep time!
    • Posted

i had my revision for same  reason as you i was so scared but im 10mths post op and im at last getting my life back its only the last 6wks that im starting to be confident about my life . i had to wait a year and a half to get my revision as i was messed about nobody wants to fix a mistake but now its all behind me and if i can ever help you with questions about revision just ask .!!!
    • Posted

Thank you for that Linda. I am scared, but can't live like this. I was always so very much "on the go" & feel like I've lost my life as it was!  The 2nd opinion surgeon has been very forthcoming in telling me what he will do, but always adds that it may change when the leg is opened up. The hospital where I am having the revision done has now changed from Black Alert, to Red, which means they are begining to catch up on all those who had operations cancelled - I still think October will come around before they get to me. A whole year of pain & aging. Hope my sleeping pills work tonight - a good sleep will help!!
    • Posted

veronica when you get that date for your op,things will seem better then at least your on the way ,i wonder what he means by what will change when he opens it ?? hopefully just covering himself .i too was like you i was so active and playing sport and then it was just like a door closed on my life and i could see no way back .hang in there if i can get my life back anyone can ive had my scar opened up 3 times in a year and a half it takes its toll but you will get to the end i promise x
    • Posted

Thanks Linda - & the sleeping pill was a waste of time - sat in my lounge (upstairs) drinking tea at 3am once again!! Then this afternoon, about 3pm - it began to work!!
    • Posted

ha ha !! typical it might take a night or two to work properly your sleeping clock is completely shot so it might take some ajusting  ...nighty night !!!!
  • Posted

Drink plenty of water and keep you leg elevated as much as possible.  If the swelling does not go down then see the doctor.     I often have swelling in my ankles and this is the only way to relieve it.
    • Posted

Hi Hazel, I must admit I've neglected both hydration and elevation a bit of late, so Im going to go back to basics, have a bottle of juice or water within reach at all limes, and put me feet up! 
  • Posted

You should bring this to the attention of your doctor as it may be connected to a renal problem, alternatively it may be also due to an adverse reaction to a medication that you are taking.

As a general rule, you should always advise your doctor of any and all new symptoms - delay is not an option.

• Posted

Hi, and thanks for replying

I had a full set of bloods done a couple of weeks ago (nothing knee-related) and everything came back clear, and my meds havent changed for a while, so Im not overly concerned in that respect, but youre right of course, GP should be aware of everything so Ive made an appointment with her next week (earliest I could get!)  in case it doesnt resolve itself in the next few days. Im also seeing my Consultant three weeks from today, so I'll make sure and tell him as well. 

• Posted

I used to get fluid on my knee with oa doctor said the knee was overproducing the fluid which protects the knee used to have it drained when I had the steroid injections haven't noticed since I have had my tkr 12 weeks ago
    • Posted

Hi Sharon, thanks for replying.

I think thats what it is to be honest, there is n awful lot of fluid on my knee, so I guess its got to go somewhere....I didnt have anywhere near as much fluid and swelling on the other knee pre TKR, so presumably thats

why there is such a difference. 

• Posted

I have got oa in the other knee as well but haven't had the problem with fluid on that one seeing the consultant in November for x rays and hopefully tkr on that one too

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.