Oesophageal cancer

Posted , 9 users are following.

i am worried I may have oesophageal cancer I have a lot of the symptoms that just started this week. My doctor keeps telling me it's my arthritis but another symptom started food getting stuck in throat. I am so scared at this moment

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am told that small cell carcinoma in the oesophagus is an unusual rather than rare cancer similar to that seen in the lung. The primary treatment is chemotherapy rather than surgery.

There are a number of different reasons for food getting stuck in your 'throat' .   The classic one for oesophageal cancer is a tumour that is blocking the interior of the food tube that runs from your throat to the stomach.   An endoscopy (ie miniature camera down your throat) will show whether this is so or not, but I would meanwhile concentrate on keeping your mouth and teeth really clean, trying something like manuka honey to soothe your throat, and drink plenty of water to keep your saliva glands working as well as they can.

The diagnosis for oesophageal cancer is often a build up of problems over many years, so whilst it is important for the underlying causes of your problems to be investigated, it is also important not to get too worried by the prospect of cancer as the chances are that it might be something else.   Relaxation can be important for good swallowing, so try and make time for eating slowly, concentrate on soft foods that give you most pleasure and try(easier said than done) not to get tense whilsy eating.

• Posted

Apparently our oncologist has seen only three other cases of this particular cancer in five years. My husband will have six sessions of carboplatin and then radiotherapy for five weeks. It is hoped that this will shrink it away but no guarantees it wont return maybe somewhere else, may be months, many months or years. All very uncertain and daunting. Lesley
    • Posted

I hope it goes well.   There is a process of coming to terms with the diagnosis whatever sort of cancer it is, and I think everyone has to learn to live woth the uncertainty.   The statistics are meaningless when it comes to individuals, and you just have to get through it together in whatever way you find best for yourselves.
    • Posted

Thank you Alan for your wise and understanding comments. I am getting a bit fed up with people telling me about people they know who had cancer and got cured/died. It can be very depressing
    • Posted

i am a 71 year old lady diagnosed                 with this cancer completely by chance I have now had the chemo and radiotherapy, my cancer is very low where it joins the stomache, I am having surgery to remove the stomach in Feb, has anyone else had this surgery?
    • Posted

I wish you all the best for this surgery.   The Oesophageal Patients Association run a helpline 0121 704 9860 and a website from which you can find patient meetings.   There are lots of people who have had this surgery and are alive and well many years afterwards.   David Kirby, for instance had his surgery about 35 years ago and is still going strong but getting older, like us all.   I do not know where you are based, but there will be others around who would be pleased to share their experiences.   It is enormously helpful to know others who have gone through the same treatment.   It sounds really strange, the idea of having your oesophagus and/or stomach removed, but people do cope with it very well.   It takes a long time to recover full health and strength, and you have to be careful about how you eat afterwards.   There is also a forum for the OPA under HealthUnlocked.

The other thing I would say is that this sort of diagnosis is quite a thing to get your head round for you and yours.   Some of your friends will say the most dramatically inappropriate things;  but you will receive great reservoirs of support from places you never expected.

• Posted

Hello Vanessa, I had surgery last July. My treatment seems to be the same as another person her named Eric.

Chemo was bad on the taste buds so I ate only sweet things for a long time. Radiation makes you exhausted.

My hospital experience wasn't the best. Everyone reacts differently and due to my allergies, they had trouble controlling my pain. Now I am all clear smile must eat small meals but no pain, just stiffness in side.

My main advice is to somehow have somebody, anybody, with you at all times for the first few days. Many people react to the painkillers. I actually thought I had been kidnapped and was totally crazy for several days. I wish you all the very best. Please feel free to ask anything you want.

By the way I am 65. My energy is up and down. But I am totally clear of cancer and you just have to go slow, it takes about 2 months before you start to get around after surgery. So take your time, and I'm thinking of you!

Xoxo Nancy

• Posted

thank you so much, that is really kind of you,I have my op on Friday and of couse I am worried but thanks to special people like you seems to make a big differance, so thank you once again.x
    • Posted

Dear Vanessa, Don't know if you have Internet access in the hospital. Thinking of you and hoping it went well.

Xo Let me know when your able,

All the best,

Nancy

• Posted

Hi Vanessa

I hope the op went well. There are a number of other people who have had this surgery and some of them get together to talk about their symptoms and see if they can help each other out. Have a look at http://www.opa.org.uk/support-near-you.html to find a group near you. Because thses groups are so useful, some hospitals now have their own PSGs run by the hosp CNS, who you will already know.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Hi lyn65518... please nag your doctor to test you ... i had heartburn for many years and ignored it until the point i couldnt put my shoes on without getting heartburn.. it was my ex husband who persuaded me to go docs where i had an endoscopy and was told i had Barretts oesophagus.. within 4 years it turned to cancer and in jan 2013 i had to have my oesophagus and part of my stomach removed,, now my stomach is somewhere in my chest too... its not been plain sailing .. and i am still going through getting used to having had it.. and living with what is left .. but i am alive .. my cancer was caught really early and i was truly blessed to have been caught in time before spread ..so please go keep nagging.. and keep strong .. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.