oesophageal spasms

Posted , 35 users are following.

hi im just 21 and recently diagnosed with the nightmare that is oesophageal spasm.

I have been getting sharp pains from a young age and the older i have become the worse they get and longer they last.

I have been given nitrolingual spray (usually for angina) from my doctor, however i no there are bad side affects and im scared of using it.

If anyone knows why these symptoms occur and how to help relieve them please please get in contact with me!

0 likes, 65 replies

65 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hope my reply helps you or someone else.  Oesophageal spasms are very likely caused by a condition called Oesophogeal Gastritis.  Case in point...My father was diagnosed in 1980 with Angina.  He had attacks fairly frequently and ended up in the Miami Heart Institute (in Florida, USA) a couple of times.  My entire family walked on egg-shells... worried that any excitement might cause an attack which would one time prove fatal.  It was a nightmare to say the least.  But one day, my father was sent by his cardiologist, the same one that first diagnosed him, to the Miami Heart Institute because of a severe attack that he experienced.  His Cardiologist was actually out of town at the time, so the Chief Surgeon of the hospital took responsibility for his care.  What happened next changed everything for my Dad.  His regular cardiologist had ordered a  catheterization (this would be the second time he would have the procedure) that was scheduled to be done in a week's time when his cardiologist returned from his trip.  The Chief Surgeon was suspicious of the order since there was no need for a 2nd catheterization procedure for anyone.  One is all that is ever needed.  Not only that, but after reviewing my father's records, he was suspicious of his doctor's diagnosis of Angina.  The Chief Surgeon waited for my father to have his next attack (they had become quite frequent) and he came to my father's room and handed him a mixture of liquid and asked him to drink it.  My father did so... and the pain immediately subsided.  The Chief Surgeon told him that the reason the attack subsided immediately was because he actually had Oesophageal Gastritis, which had the "some" of the same symptoms as angina, but NOT all of them.  In other words, he said, "you were wrongly diagnosed for all these years."  He also explained that symptoms were often brought on from stress or the consumption of caffeine (coffee, tea, chocolate, etc.).  Then the Chief Surgeon told my father that he was going to submit a complaint against his cardiologist for ordering a 2nd procedure (saying that it was only for the money he would get), and he had his practicing rights withdrawn from the Miami Heart Institute.  The mixture that my father was given was essentially the same as Maalox.  From that point on, my father was instructed to simply buy over-the-counter Malox whenever he had the symptoms.... and it ALWAYS worked, almost immediately.  

Since that time, three of my friends had been hospitalized for the same symptoms.  Each was being treated for Angina when I visited them. I told them about my father's situation and suggested that they ask their doctors to assess them for the posibility of Oesophageal Gastritis.  Believe it or not, all three of them were found to have it....not a heart issue.  The prescription:  avoid stress, caffeine and whenever they felt a spasm, take Maalox.

I hope this helps you and everyone else who has had this same problem.  Please, don't just believe the doctor's first diagnosis of "Angina."  Make sure it isn't a more basic issue:  Oesophageal Gastritis.  If so....you can look to the simple solution of Maalox.  

• Posted

That is  a great story which we should all take note of.  Chest pains are not necessarily heart-related!   Reflux can indeed have a very adverse effect on the oesophagus, but with achalasia there are also other things that people need to be aware of, and it is frequently the nerve endings driving the muscles that operate the swallowing mechanism down to the stoamch that are not working, often coupled with a lower oesophageal sphincter that tends to clamp tight shut.
  • Posted

I had a client that had these, and she would drink a Coke (from the can) and it would take care of them.
    • Posted

She never drank the whole can, only enough to take =care of it
  • Posted

Try altoid mints , start crunching a few as soon as the pain starts and keep going , I have found this really helps , good Luck 🍀 😊
  • Posted

I found a good remedy for oesophageal acclasia is to stretch your neck by raising you chin as high as you can. Then start rhythmically and firmly stroking the front of your neck until the spasm eases.

Also, a hefty dose of Lansaprazole or better, Omeprazole which is prolonged release, is better, Since my GP prescribed Omeprazole 40mg twice a day, I've had far fewer spasms.

• Posted

Neck stretching helps a little, check to see if you have a hiatal hernia or a Paraesophageal hernia , also the thing that works quick is something called a G.I. Cocktail, you drink it and it numbs the pain. For more info look for me on Facebook as Lisa Darlene Sokey Edmondson
    • Posted

Ps, the inept axils does not work, it's just mean for acid reduction
    • Posted

Sorry, I meant the omeprazole as its just for acid reduction
  • Posted

I have had this for 30 years and there doesn't seem that much can be done about it. The spray is good; altho it may give you a headache it can hold off or shorten an attack so it's worth having.  I've had all manner of tests (inconclusive except high acidity) & took Losec for years bit it still happened so I don't bother now.  I was offered an op but turned it down as it doesn't always help (60% success). I'm going to try asking for an MRI and have booked to see a hypnotist - but my attacks come on so fast that may not work. Sorry no better news!
    • Posted

Have you been checked for a hiatal hernia or a parasophageal hernia ? Also get a monometry test done.
    • Posted

You can talk to me more about this on Facebook , my name is Lisa Darlene Sokey Edmondson
  • Posted

I have been told soft food only. Had this since 2011 been hospitalised a few times
    • Posted

Eating soft foods is not the answer , soup broth or soups with veggies and NO meat, blend it in a blender and make sure it's no thicker than a milkshake , but again this does not fix it, I read about having the esophagus sphincter snipped at one end might work. I will be going back to my surgical Doctor to have him see how my Paraesophageal hernia repair is doing and I am going to demand the stuff you drink that it called a G.I. Cocktail, it works by numbing the pain of the esophageal spasms, which is the only thing so far that actually works, don't get the spray as it does not work.
    • Posted

If you want to discuss this more look for me on Facebook Lisa Darlene Sokey Edmondson

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.