Oesophageal varices grade 2 but underlying cause unknown

Posted , 2 users are following.

Is there anyone who has been diagnosed with oesophageal varices that where not bleeding as yet? ive been told after an OGD I have grade 2 oesophageal varices but no known cause. i struggle to swallow food and have been told the appointment for the gastro team is in 5 months. any help will be appreciated.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with this issue. It is a serious situation. I have included two short articles below. It appears that the real cause is likely liver damage. I also have liver damage from taking Accutane over 20 years ago. There are many causes. There are liver cleanses that may help. I would recommend that you start juicing organic vegetables right away. Kale, Spinach, parsley, beets, carrots, celery, and whatever else is available locally. The liver can heal but it takes constant high nutrition and stopping anything that has side effects of liver damage. Juicing will also strengthen your artery and vein walls. If you can't juice then use a high speed blender. You can strain out some of the fiber, but fiber is also needed to cleanse. Hang in there. Keep me posted. John

Mayo Clinic:

Esophageal varices are abnormal, enlarged veins in the tube that connects the throat and stomach (esophagus). This condition occurs most often in people with serious liver diseases.

Esophageal varices develop when normal blood flow to the liver is blocked by a clot or scar tissue in the liver. To go around the blockages, blood flows into smaller blood vessels that aren't designed to carry large volumes of blood. The vessels can leak blood or even rupture, causing life-threatening bleeding.

A number of drugs and medical procedures can help prevent and stop bleeding from esophageal varices.

Cleveland Clinic:

Esophageal varices are enlarged or swollen veins that occur on the lining of the esophagus. Varices can be life-threatening if they break open and bleed. They usually occur in people with cirrhosis of the liver. Goals of treatment include preventing more liver damage, preventing varices from bleeding, and controlling bleeding if it occurs. Methods to meet these goals range from living a healthier lifestyle, medications, non-surgical procedures to liver transplant.

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with this condition. It can be serious. It appears to be caused by liver damage. I also have liver damage from taking Accutane over 20 years ago. There are liver cleanses that can be found online. I would also recommend that you increase your nutrition by juicing Organic vegetables. Kale, Spinach, carrots, parsley, celery, beets, and whatever is available locally. You can also add some protein powder after blending, use low speed to prevent foaming. If you can't juice then use a high speed blender. This will also strengthen the veins and arteries. I do this every day and have finally got my Diabetes under control using this method. Kale is a superfood and has amazing healing properties. You also need to stop anything that has the side effect of liver damage.

Hang in there. Keep me posted. John

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with this condition. It can be serious. It appears to be caused by liver damage. I also have liver damage from taking a prescription medication over 20 years ago. There are liver cleanses that can be found online. I would also recommend that you increase your nutrition by juicing Organic vegetables. Kale, Spinach, carrots, parsley, celery, beets, and whatever is available locally. You can also add some protein powder after blending, use low speed to prevent foaming. If you can't juice then use a high speed blender. This will also strengthen the veins and arteries. I do this every day and have finally got my Diabetes under control using this method. Kale is a superfood and has amazing healing properties. You also need to stop anything that has the side effect of liver damage.

Hang in there. Keep me posted. John

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.