Oestrogen only HRT

Posted , 4 users are following.

HI,  

I’m considering starting in oestrogen only HRT and would like to hear from others who are using it.  My doctor has told me about the increased risk of breast cancer, however when I had my hysterectomy a few years ago, my gyro told me that the oestrogen only treatment had no increased risk. I suffer from high blood pressure and cholesterol and will be starting on medication for that shortly.  I also suffer from anxiety, depression and insomnia, which I now understand is made worse by menopause. I’d love to think that HRT will help to fix this, but the side effects concern me.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Keep to estradiol oestrogen, transdermal, i.e. patches slow release 2 per week, gels (which need to be applied daily which is a nuisance, or pellet implants which I prefer but have to get them from a compound chemist with a script from your dr.

The beauty of the implants is you can have 100mg or more (I am going for 2 x 100mg next implant).  It is not a whammy of oestrogen in your body all at once.  Your body only takes what it needs when it needs (different times of day).  The size of the implant is only related to how long it lasts.

My body requires more oestrogen than most and I want my implants to last longer.  Unless your dr knows this, he/she is going to have an apoplexy at the idea of having so much in your body.  Start with the patches and you can work up to the pellet implants if your dr prefers.

I started at age 38 immediately after a hysterectomy and have been using all three at various times, particularly after pellets became unavailable for a while.  That was 29 years ago.  I am now 66.  This type of hormone has been very satisfactory until my gp started messing me around with provera which made my oestrogen ineffective.  After two years I said no more to the provera, and now trying to get back on track with the pellets.  Once your oestrogen has been messed around with, it does not work the same again or takes a long while, I have found, to work most efficiently again.

So don't let your dr chop and change.  I also use vagifem and estriol cream to keep vagina soft and lubricated.

PS:  I only had side effects when my gp insisted I use provera (progestin) as well.  I did not really need it as I do not have a uterus but she had some crazy idea of having balance of the two hormones.  Surgical menopause does not need this balance I discovered from reading lots of research.

Good luck.

• Posted

Sheryl is right! Listen to her. I went through the same thing. I had a complete hysterectomy at age 48 (I'll be 70 in two weeks). My obgyn put me on estradiol tablets while still in the hospital. I never had any problems, had lots of energy and always felt great 'until' we moved down here to Texas and a new obgyn started messing with the dosage, saying I didn't need them anymore at age 65. That's when the bottom dropped out - I went  through tremendous anxiety, burning mouth, aching joints, gum disease, itching skin and the list goes on. Found another obgyn, he did blood work and told me my estrogen level was extremely low. He upped my estrogen and like Sheryl said, it's a see saw trying to get back on track to where I was. It's now almost 3 years and I'm just now starting to feel like my old self "almost." My new obgyn told me some women do just fine without hrt, some do not - I'm one of the do not. I'm also finding out that as we age we may need a little more estrogen (not less). That's how it is in my case. Good luck on your journey - Do NOT let them mess with your hormones unless you feel they are no longer working for you. I wish I'd never have listened to that obgyn who started messing with them - I"m still furious!

• Posted

Jeannie - your GYN is correct that estrogen-only is preferable (not needing progesterone comment) and a number of studies have shown it has many beneficial effects and very low risks since you won’t need the progesterone part of HRT since you don’t have a uterus.

If given a choice, always opt for transdermal (patches or gels) as oral HRT  has to be taken at a much higher doses since it has to pass through your digestion, and also be processed by the liver - which is taxing to the liver. Most current HRT regimens are transdermal, as there was really no reason in this day and age, to be taking HRT via pills.   I wouldn’t worry too much about doing a trial of this and seeing how you feel.  You’d need to give it a few months, probably starting on a low-mid level dose. It may help you tremendously. Sometimes there is a bit of trial and error regarding the right dosage - every woman is different and some need lower doses than others - but that is the case for anyone using HRT.    The great thing about the pouches, as they are usually available in at least five or six different strengths. So you can go up or down depending on how the symptoms are responding to the patch. 

At this point, since you haven’t even started using them I’m not sure why you’re being warned about not switching or changing your regimen, etc. (are they replying yo the right post??)

You don’t really need to be thinking  about that right now as you’re new to HRT and you haven’t even started it yet!   One step at a time and keep us posted on how you get on.  Good luck!  

• Posted

Thank you so much for your advice. Ive since started on oral HRT but after only a couple of days I had to stop because of awful fluid retention. Im going back to my doctor this week to sort that problem out but will ask to be prescribed patches instead. Hopefully the fluid retention problem will be easily rectified.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.