Off Amiodorone!!

Posted , 8 users are following.

After being on amiodorone for 6 months, I have been weaned off it completely as it appears my second ablation in December has worked!  Now I am praying that I can continue to be off it and that my a-fib stays in remission.  Just wanted share this with all you a-fibbers out there to let you know that there is hope!  God bless you all. 

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Congratulations Suzanne! I hope you continue to be a-fib free for a long, long time. I'm taking Amiodarone and waiting for my third ablation, so fingers crossed!!

• Posted

How long did the first ablation last..Why did you have the ablations in the first place. / severe symptoms or asymptomatic. Only on amarodarine for a short time to get thru a  procedure . Did you have side effects from amarodarine/ 
    • Posted

i was asymptomatic except for a few fainting episodes, which I thought were from low blood pressure. It was only after wearing a holter monitor for 24 hours did they diagnose the afib. 
    • Posted

My first ablation 3/16 was not successful. The only med that kept 

me in rythym was amiodarone. I really dont think I had any side affects except my kidney function has gone out of range slightly. Docs say it wasn't the amio but rather because I'm getting older.  My second ablation was 12/16 and the EP said he could see exactly where the first one had failed and he felt very confident that he had "gotten" it. So far, so good. I'm just so happy to be off amio. It has such a terrible reputation even though all the docs feel it is overblown. 

• Posted

The worst part of the first ablation was the stress leading up to it. The second was supposed to be combined with thorasic surgery which they 

couldn't do because my heart was attached to the periodcardal sack, but the EP ablation was successful.  Both times I recovered pretty quickly with no post-surgery problems. 

• Posted

Great news Suzanne long may it continue, gives hope to us all.

Take care

L x

• Posted

Are you saying you have been taking Amiodarone since your ablation?   I had Flecanide for 2 months after my ablalation but Amiodarone seems a very strong drug post Ablation.    Good Luck with your remission. 
    • Posted

started taking amio 10/16 two months after my pacemaker implant. Stayed on it 4 months more after my 12/16 ablation, so a total of 6 months.  Prior to the second ablation, all other meds taken did not keep me in NSR. 

• Posted

Because they don't know for three months post surgery if your ablation was successful, I believe it is common to stay on all surgery drugs for that time  

• Posted

I will live in hope - my 2nd ablation not successful unless the AF x 2  I have had is temporary post operative blips.     Sounds positive for you though so keep it up. 
    • Posted

Thank all of u for your happiness for me. I pray the same for u all. 
  • Posted

So happy for you Suzanna and thank you for that positive post..I hope your ablation continues to work ..God Bless you 🙏

• Posted

My 1st ablation in 2011 lasted 6 years I then had an unrelated heart attack which started the AF again last year after which I'm not allowed flecanide so had my 2 NDN ablation at Barts in January so far not that affective but keeping my fingers crossed.

Good news with yours though.

• Posted

I read somewhere that the average ablation lasts 3 years, but I've known people that have gone much less -- and some much longer  than that.  I'll keep my fingers crossed too that your January one works for u. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.