Off amlodipine at last.

Posted , 7 users are following.

At last a doctor has listened to me. Arranged a telephone appointment with a different doctor who listened to me and looked up my side effects. I then admitted that I hadn't taken them for 4 days & things were beginning to improve. Now about to start taking ramapril. Watch this space!

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Ramipril worked fine for my BP control but as ever no free lunches there either. I found when taking Ramipril that my background tinitus rapidly became quite unpleasantly severe particularly at night. Do watch out for this and any other side effects.  Good luck!
    • Posted

Thanks for this Andy Po. I will certainly watch out for side effects & not let it drag on like I did with amlodipine.

Cheers

Luvheart

• Posted

Hi Luvheart...I'm glad you got this Amlodipine business sorted. I will say, the side effects I was experiencing  while on it have improved greatly. They haven't completely disappeared, but at least I can live with what remains. My doctor told

me that it could take a while for the Amlodipine effects to completely leave my body, especially psysiologically. I don't know if your doctor explained to you or not, but Amlodipine is a Calcium Channel Blocker, whereas the Rampiril is an A.C.E.Inhibitor. You must be patient as you take medications. Most times it can take 4-6 weeks for peak performance of the medication. Anything beyond that point usually means it's not effective enough, or the side effects (if any) likely won't go away. Keep a positive attitude toward this. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers!!!!

• Posted

Hi Mike

Thanks for the info. I certainly will stay positive & keep you informed.

Take care.

Luvheart

• Posted

Morning Luvheart

that's good you got through to a doctor who listens that's good glad for this news!What type of symptoms did you get if you don't mind me asking? I've just come off Amlodopine as I had some horrible swelling of my lower legs round my ankles & tops of my feet near my ankle with a red burning rash on my shins (lower legs) I could hardly stand on my left leg it felt like the bone in my left leg would snap i did come off them for a very short while about a week near enough & the swelling came down & rash went away! Then went back on them again because I thought it may of been a reaction to the prednisolon & cyprofloxacin along with the amlodipine so I'd finished the prednisolon by the time i developed the rash & next day the antbiotics cyprofloxacin was finished.

The same day the antibiotics finished after coming from the hospital about the condition of my legs I went to the doctor who said come off them untill he gets results from ablood test he sent me for so I came off them, he didn't want to change them just yet as they were dooing wonders in bringing down the blood pressure & so decided after all clleared up to give the amlodipine another go & see what happens this time round.Well the swelling crept back again along with the appearence of the rash but the with noburning the second time round & now I'm off the amlodipne for good noow & started on ramipril the lowest dose yesterday morning, so far all is well but of course it's really too soon for me to comment yet! i had ramipril in 2009 & i thought i was going to faint while walking with my son in his pushchair & made it to my eldest daughters address just! It was a very frightning experiance I could of crossed the road & it could of been the end for my son & myself I explained this to the doc & he rang for advice & I've been put on the lowest dose so we've yet to see, I am intrested to hear how you get on & will keep you updated! I hope this time the medicine isn't a problem though they all have side effects wishing all goes well this time for you!smile

• Posted

Hi Karen

The side effects I had on amlodipine were mainly very stiff & painful muscles and needing to wee every couple of hours (only overnight). I did get swollen ankles on the 10 mg, but that disappeared when dose was reduced. As you say, they all have some side effects but I certainly won't wait so long before I see a dr if anything develops.

Good luck & keep in touch.

Luvheart

• Posted

I have been on Amliodipine for 10 days, I thought this was so supposed to regulate my heart rate, but my pulse has been racing at 120 tonight, hopefully this will slow down soon, it leaves me exhausted. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.