Off balance, dizzy, boaty head, disequilibrium for months. Anxiety? Stress? Strain? Thoughts?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Greetings all. My story will probably sound familiar. It seems the off-balance, dizzy state is common for many and I'm guessing for the majority it is because of stress disorder. (Anxiety/depression, etc.)

Full disclaimer, I've had anxiety and panic disorder (of every flavor) for about 8 years. The past few years I've learned to move on with life and do very well. My life has been good. I have setbacks, but things are good.

About 7 months ago I was doing a heavy workout and got dizzy. Then the next day... boaty, off-balance feelings. And since then it has never really gone away.

Symptoms:

-Off balance

-Boaty head (ground feels like it's spongy, etc.)

-heavy head

-thick feeling head and eyes

-blurry eyes at times

-can have anxiety, or none and it's still there

-INCREASES with strain. (If I do heavy lifting workouts it gets worse.)

-I'm on no psych meds and have no interest.

-brain feels out of sync with feet - and feet can get sore from trying to balance the body. (Feels like)

-For me worse in the AM, a bit better as day goes on

-Eyes can feel strained

-When it's bad if I look down (like at my phone) sharply, I can get a woosh of dizziness

-I can have stretches where it's better but never gone

I have no interest in medication. (Taking them or talk of them.)

I'm here to learn about other people's experience in finding ways to improve. I DO accept this is probably a result of stress and anxiety. No medical condition seems to match these symptoms. People on these boards throw around all kinds of disorders but generally ear disorders have extreme symptoms.

Anyone relate to the lifting part of it?

Any things that have helped people recover?

Anyone heard of PPD? (Long term psychological dizziness)

Any other thoughts, input, encouragement?

Thanks to all for reading and hang in there if you're experiencing the same thing.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I really feel for you hun. I get nearly all these symptoms feels like I'm going crazy. But then all these alements I found that most of my symptoms were my sinuses and a inner ear infection that's one of the reasons I was going off balance and dizzy.... The rest is anxiety and depression witch doesn't help because whilst your anxious about over thinking makes it 10 times worse.. I really do feel for you like I said but the best thing you can do is go see your gp darl

• Posted

Hi Bryan,

Word for word you've described what is currently going on with me....apart from how it started, mine came out of no where not from heavy lifting.

I've been putting up with it for the last 4 months, I have an extremely stressful life and it does seem to get better and worse with stress.

I have also noticed that I can get rushes of dizziness depending on my eye location and if there is movement in the background, reading a book and being able to see the tv in the back round for example.

I think its partly due to hyper sensitivity that my eyes dont relax and are constantly looking for something/danger.

When the dizziness is at its peak it feels like my eyes are drunk but it doesn't affect my movement or co-ordination. When standing still I get the same unbalanced feeling where I'll rock and my body has to constantly keep me balanced.

I'm sure this is all more stress related than anxiety related.....really good to hear someone else with the same symptoms though!

• Posted

Hey Sam,

Yeah, and I probably left off a few. Haha. I can get some nausea at times with it as well if it's in the intense part of the cycles.

Same as you, the ground feels unstable. To me it feels sensory... eyes/brain aren't keeping up or something.

It doesn't feel like an ear thing, though I do have some increased tinnitus since this all started. (I had a little already before.) The eyes can feel thick and tired, forehead can feel full and if it's bad... I can't look down without getting a bit of a dizzy spin. But generally it's more of a general imbalance, weakness in legs, coordination of feet/brain issue.

Nothing particularly seems to make it better... but I find if I can get proper sleep and keep stress low, I seem to go into better cycles with it. There have been times when I've felt it's barely there. But, if I push it with exercise or hit a stressful patch - seems it can come back strong.

I think it's psychological - but has a physical base. (Depletion, hormones, etc.)

This is an interesting read:

http://www.medlink.com/article/psychophysiological_dizziness

I've probably done (admittedly) too much research on this and it always seems to come back around to something stress-based in nature. (That includes anxiety, etc.)

95% of the people who I find who describe the same symptoms are found on anxiety forums, or... describe "also" having panic attacks, etc. I've basically never hear of anyone having this long lasting disequalibrium without also having an associated anxiety issue of some sort. (So that should tell us something.)

Another key hint... TRUE diseases don't behave this way. They don't get better... then worse... then better... for the most part. When that is the pattern, it's almost always stress-based.

• Posted

Oh I guess my link is being moderated.

Just google PPDS / dizziness if you want to read some interesting stuff about this.

• Posted

Just google PPDS / dizziness if you want to read some interesting stuff about this.

• Posted

• Posted

Hello,

I get the exact same symptoms as yourself, heavy-headed (head pressure) with an off balance feeling. Mine however seems to build during the day and not be so bad in the morning, but as the afternoon progresses it becomes near unbearable. At home or in my own comfortable environments I have no such trouble at any point during the day, however at work it just build and builds throughout the day. I feel head pressure / dizziness / off-balance / brain fog / head rushes (whilst looking at my monitor I feel the occasional adrenaline rush in the head - very disturbing).

I have been prescribed meds (amitriptyline) but still the problem persists, it doesn't help that i literally cannot stand some of the people am surrounded by during the working day - I barely believe they are human sometimes and cannot reconcile to their attitudes / personalty at all !

As ever, am interested to hear with others experience with this problem and what has been done to reduce / resolve it.

• Posted

The only thing I've found that works to reduce the symptoms is CBDee oil.

The pressure in my head I think comes from tension in my neck which is caused by looking at a screen all day in my job.

Hope that helps a bit.

• Posted

I really know and understand what you're saying hun. I'm sat here now crying my eyes out again it's driving me crazy. I have tried absolutely everything possible but nothing works to be honest... Are you post meno darl x

• Posted

I think one thing to remember about this condition is that it is a byproduct of our lifestyles, most likely.

So, hoping to find something to "fix" it immediately is pretty unlikely. I've done a lot of research on this condition and I don't ever recall someone having an instant fix. (BPPV can be helped more quickly but that's not what anyone here is describing.)

So, our best hope is to take the "emergency" out of this as we learn to live with the symptoms. Stopping the fight is important. Yes, it feels awful... but we have to learn to live with it and get the most out of life we can. As we lose the fear of it, the body settles.

I'm convinced that over time... we feel better from this by giving the body space, rest, lowering stress and anxiety levels. (Similar to how panic attacks cease, etc.)

I admit it's confusing though. I have bad days where it's hard to accept. We just have to find encouragement to keep moving forward with it all there and giving it space to resolve.

• Posted

Hi Crispy,

Yes, I get that brain fog feeling as well. My eyes can also feel almost swollen and slow.... as silly as that sounds. My head feels thick and unresponsive. Occasionally it can feel like my peripheral vision can be a little reduced.

The sore feet thing is the weirdest though. I can tell it's from the feet having to work too hard to keep the body balanced - because the head isn't doing it's work properly.

So to me this all feels sensory. (The nausea can relate to that too - like motion sickness)

The brain is exhausted and the hormones/muscles and mechanisms that help keep you feeling balanced and clear are out of whack for now.

Not sure if any of that makes sense, but it's how I make sense of it.

• Posted

feel for you

i have major health anxiety and got dizzy i looked in my nose and had a huge polyp i freaked out i had sinus infection causing some of my symptoms so i urge you to check that out

• Posted

Hi.

**Please read this. You're not alone. You're getting there ! Hang tight!

This was me 2 months ago

I have this for almost 3 years now. Constant! 24/7. Multiple tests

In order to clarify all the confusion that engulfs everyone who is currently suffering from GAD or health anxiety I can safely validate this that as I'm in the process of documenting this post I am experiencing a slight panic attack and breathing difficulty and some sort of discomfort.

I'm 29 years old. Living in Athens, Greece and 2 years ago I had everything on the tip of my finger.

I am working for a multinational advertising agency, had pretty much everything I needed in life although I was stressful since birth. A life full of joy, fun and adventure. Friends, lots of women ( please don't mock me there's a reason I'm writing all of this itty bitty info. [cheesygrin] [wink]

2 years ago I bumped my head in a cabinet, had something of a soft concussion. Nothing extraordinary. 3 days later I woke up with severe clutter headache. A sense of pressure, weight in my forehead, eyes, nose even mouth some days.

Mind you this was 24/7. No breaks, no early check-outs. 24/7 all day, everyday. For 2 and a half gruesome years. Still standing.

Mind you again that Greece has highly qualified doctors and medical facilities ranking them amongst the greatests and most efficient in the world.

My complete medical exams as of now, 2 years and 3 days after, are a mixture of: a CT 3 days after, MRI 15 days after. Both clean. Had a second MRI about two months ago. None.

4 Blood tests, 2 urine tests, 2 triplex heart tests, 1 lungs CT (obvious reason) 2 exams of gastroscopy, 1 neck x ray, 1 testicles x ray, 4 visits/tests in 3 different neurologists and ONLY 1 VISIT TO A PSYCHOLOGIST/THERAPIST (SHAME SHAME SHAME)

Along with the feeling of having something terminal (tumour, cancer, plague, divers' disease) I had other symptoms as well. Joint pains, muscle tensions & pain, blurred vision, eye pain, short breath, spastic movement, fear, fatigue, more fear, inability to think, focus, foggy mind, insomnia, derealisation, tremor, armpits pain when touched, numerous digestive issues. And along with all those beautiful feelings I also had oulitis, or inflammation of the gum, common you may think. On the contrary I had been spiting blood and a series of liquids close to the orange colour. These were mainly from the digestion problems I was experiencing. A process called Palindromisis. However I was convinced that I was spitting blood because I had terminal cancer along with the brain tumour related to my cluster/tension headaches. A poor diagnosis in my gum related problem led me to believe that. Just 1 week ago it was confirmed that it was oulitis. Thanks a bunch for the first failed test on me doc.

Nowadays and 2 years after all this rather uncomfortable situation I had overcome most of my issues and psychosomatic tribulations but a new challenger arrived to claim this poor soul.

Heart palpitations. I always had them. Big deal I thought. But no. This time of year this was not the case.

I had experienced a new form of heart palpitations. A more mature one. A newly developed.

I thought my heart was dying, shutting down as I was feeling a burning sensation in the left part of my chest and neck. Inbalance, fear, this is how it ends right?

Skipping beats, slow beats, fast paced beats. All this in a crazy run. BY GOD JIM I had the fear of God in me.

I'm feeling uneasy and I'm currently experiencing palpitations as I write this. I begin this as a sort of self-cleansing but I also though it could help a poor-struggling soul.

YOU HAVE NOTHING WRONG. YOUR WORST FEARS ARE MANIFESTING INSIDE YOU. FOOLING YOUR BODY. FOOLING YOU. YOU 'RE NOT DYING. YOUR SANITY IS. KEEP CALM. AVOID TOXIC PEOPLE. AVOID TOXIC LIFE. BREATHE IN. BREATHE OUT. EMBRACE YOURSELF. LET PEOPLE KNOW. MAKE THEM UNDERSTAND. IF NOT, F**K THEM. DITCH THEM OUT. KEEP CALM. TAKE A BIG BREATH IN. LET IT ALL OUT.

DO YOU SEE THE END OF THE TUNNEL? NO!

IT'S NOT YOUR TIME YET.

LIVE LIFE.

• Posted

Hey Konstantine,

Very interesting. What caught me as very curious was that you mentioned you hit your head on a cabinet. The ONLY other time I've had extended head issues was back in 2014.... when I hit my head on a cabinet! I had 3 months of on and off brain fog, focus issues, heavy eyes and some balance/dizzy issues. Similar to what I have now, but less balance and more brain fog oriented. But, very interesting that it sparked your symptoms too. (I don't think it was a real injury by the way, I think it cranked up psychological symptoms in a person that was already stressed.)

You sound like you've come a long way in understanding how the mind/CNS can create all of these symptoms. It's hard to believe nothing is truly wrong with us.... but we are truly healthy. We just have agitated nervous systems.

I'm keeping on with life. I won't let this balance problem/fog dictate what I can do. It is tricky at times and I have bad days, but I'm keeping moving forward.

Sorry about your palps. But, I think you know by now what they are... just another system of a stressed body. You've been to the doctor and have nothing to worry about.

Good luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.