off-balance, throat problem and weakness

Posted , 5 users are following.

So basically this is what I've been going through the past 2 months.

About 2 months ago I started to experience this feeling of being off balance, initially I didn't think much of I think because I had experienced the same thing a few months previously, but on that occasion the feeling went away after a couple of days. I thought I would go to work, come home and get some sleep and it would be fine, however the feeling was still there the next day and long story short it has persisted ever since, along with this off balance feeling in the days after its onset I developed some muscle weakness in my legs, my legs sometimes shake when I attempt to exercise them and my knee joints have began to click a lot more, interestingly though it is not the strength of my legs per say I feel have been affected it is mainly when I bend my legs for example when I am doing a squat they tend to shake but when I straighten them I have no problem. I have also noticed some micro shakes I have developed in my body when I bend back or my legs, you cannot physically see the shake but I can feel them, however when I do straighten them I get this feeling like my whole body gets shot up almost like I have lost strength in my hamstrings and that strength has gone to my quads, I just feels unnatural. I also experienced some weakness in my hands where simple tasks like picking up a glass or brushing my teeth were taking more effort than they should but this has since subsided and my hands feel normal. In the weeks after I have developed this feeling in my neck where if I move my neck to one side My whole neck rips to that side, it feels like my neck is to loose if that makes sense, I have also had this annoying throats problem which doesn't seem to be going away, it I said affecting my speech and the way my words flow as I stumble across my words sometimes. I also developed some muscle twitches which have not happened as often as the used to but come around some times. All symptoms have been somewhat manageable but this off balance feeling in my body (neck, upper body in particular) are quite troublesome and is starting to really affect my quality of life.

I have been to see my GP countless times and he referred me to a neurologist and he did his tests and observations and said he couldn't identify anything but he booked me in for a brain MRI which I had and came back normal, However I will be asking for a cervical spine scan. If it is not a neurological problem I do not know what it could be, I have read a lot online and it could be anything from BPPV, blood clot in the neck, heavy metal poisoning, degenerative disc disease and Anxiety and Depression. My symptoms are not as severe as others have experienced as I am able to work and do everything for myself however it lingers at the back of my mind as I do not k ow what it is and how I can treat it.

I must also say that my symptoms began two days after I had a binge which I do not have often, the neurologist I went to see mentioned that may have been a contributing factor, does anyone know if this is true? 

I know this is a long post, but does anyone have any idea what could be the problem and possible treatments?

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

4 yrs. ago, I was walking around fuzzy headed for 6 months. While sitting at my table, I just slumped over not passing out. Went to hospital- sent me home, saying it was vertigo- 2 hrs later I was taken by rescue to MOORE CO Hospital. Had almost all that was fatal out of the way. No one knew what it was. thought it could be anxiety, so I left with anxiety meds til other drs. could see me. Dose was just raised of anxiety meds. For 3 1/2 yrs. I researched to see how to ease my anxiety, but nothing!. Layed in bed at least 3-4 days a week.LONG STORY SHORT, I started researching the medicine & I think I hit the POT! You have to reduce it by a 12th after you get to 5mg for 1-2 weeks then reduce 12th again next 1-2 weeks , so it want bother you so bad. Keep reduceing til it's gone. They say you may have side effects for 2 weeks or 2 months after last pill, but it's worth it to me. I'm reducing from Diazepam & I've not been knocked down in the bed in a month now.Whatever you're taking, switch to Diazepam to tapper off. Go ahead & research it. MY LIFE HAS BEEN ---- for almost 4 yrs. Now I AM FEELING BETTER EVERYDAY- STILL LIL FUZZY HEADED BUT ON MY WAY TO BEING NEW- PRAY U ALL FIND YOUR PROBLEM AND GET WELL! PLEASE RESEARCH YOUR MEDS.

• Posted

Hi Janice

Appreciate the reply, you lost me a little in the middle, are you saying that I have to reduce my medicine intake by a 12th every 2 weeks? I am currently taking prochlorperazine 5mg I'm into my second day of taking it.

May I ask by fuzzy headed what do you mean exactly by that?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.