Off Lisinopril, now on Losarton. I feel YUK!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I recently came off Lisinopril 2.5 mg owing to the dry cough. (Lisinopril was fine apart from the cough). GP has now prescribed Losartan 25 mg and I have been taking this for six days. However, I feel awful - no energy, tired, some aches and pains, occasionally nauseous and generally YUK. Totally unlike my normal state.

The Losartan is working in that my BP readings are fine and within the normal range. I still have a cough, and have lots of catarrh - but this may be the nasty cough/catarrh virus that seems to be 'going around' in many places.

I know that we are all different, and respond to different medication in different ways, but can others recommend alternative ARBs in the 'artan' range that have fewer no energy/fatigue/'flu like side effects.

Thank you.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

My friend was given Candesartan which apparently suits her.

I had the cough problem with Ramipril & my GP gave me Bendroflumethiazide instead.

I do take Losartan with no side effects such as the ones you mention

I take

Bisoprolol

Bendroflumethiazide

Spironolactone

& later in the day, Losartan

I can tolerate these drugs, though when I first started taking them at all, I felt very washed out but I imagine I have just got used to taking them now

What drugs do you take?

• Posted

I take only Losartan 25 mg as a prescribed medication. I take paracetamol occasionally for various aches and pains, and catarrh cough pastilles for the catarrh/cough virus - all purchased over the counter in pharmacy or supermarket.

• Posted

Hi, 6 days does not give the drug a chance, and, as you say, you may well have the bug going round. wait till you are better. If the bug is what is going round here in the midlands, uk, its a bad one, i felt awful, like a bad flu , really very ill, and a severe sinus headache etc , lasted over 2 weeks, So do not change drugs just yet, wait at least 3 more weeks

• Posted

Hi Annie, I live in South Oxfordshire, UK, so our local bug is probably the same as your one; unless they breed a particularly virulent bug in your area. (Which part of the Midlands are you in? Hubby is from Wolverhampton). 😃

• Posted

east midlands, probably is the same bug! at least the losartan is keeping your bp down, illness is a time most people find bp and pulse rate rises....take care

• Posted

I too am on Losartan 50mg for about 1 1/2 years. IDK if its the drug but I too feel terrible, lightheadedness, tired all the time and arm are sore on and off. My symptoms had gotten worse over the last year. In fact over $60000 in med cost to find out what is going on. My cardiologist won't change or do anymore tests. I just saw him last week and he did ECK. All was normal and he said go home.

Hope you find an answer.

• Posted

Hi Mark, I have some similar symptoms. Tiredness and a sore arm, and dizzy occasionally. I assume you are in the USA, as your medical costs seem massive!

• Posted

Yep USA. Drs have done stress test, angiogram (only one artery at 70% all others ok..no stent), MRI on sinus, MRI on head, MRI on cervical (c4 is pinching spinal cord) went in to Physical Therapy for 6 sessions. Sleep deprivation test. Carpal tunnel test. Complete eye exam. Numerous blood tests. 3 different trips to ER and numerous Dr appointments for referrals

Nothing abnormal.

I even went to dentist.

Thank goodness for insurance. I would pay the $60000 if they would fine whats wrong but I'm not Lucky.

I'm going to keep pressing the Drs. I've gotten them to refer me to a big university med school. Maybe they can find something.

Good luck to you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.