off olanzapine for 7 weeks

Posted , 4 users are following.

oh yes....im eating less,and when i do its more healthy,i dont eat junk food anymore,i used to crave it while on olanzapine and now the thought of a mcdonalds or burger makes me feel sick,im eating much less fried food, not a concious "descision" but my body is rejecting fat. Ihave stopped taking granulated sugar, i used to have two spoons in every cup of coffee and tea ive ever had,and i feel better. I would drink coffee, lots while on olanzapine and now maybe 1 0r 2 a day its like a treat instead off 6 7 0r 8 i used to drink while on olanzapine and im feeling better. These are NOT COINCIOUS DESCIONS merely my body telling me AT LAST what i need and what is best.....i ll keep you posted.x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ashley

Are you going to go on a different drug now . My son was on Olanszapine but is now switched to aripipeazole 10 mg. He was on clopixol depo for 2 years but he had very sweet cravings and no motivation was totally lifeless. Im hoping this well help him but not sedate him and take his emotions away again

X

• Posted

The plan is it be completly drug free. I have been free of any medication now for 8 weeks now,so far so good.But again i couldnt have managed this without weekly sessions with a PSYCHOTHERAPIST.X
    • Posted

I wish you all the best Ashley. My son stopped all meds for nearly a year but unfortunately he has relapsed 2 weeks ago and is now in hospital . He has had to start meds again myself and him are so upset about it as we both thought he had overcome the illness and was coping so well . I can only hope he doesn't go back to being a zombie and has a plan forward with councilling and more positive after care. I was told by my sons pychaiatrist thst once you have had an episode of psychosis you will have one again within 3/5 years. But I believe if you try and keep healthy be positive and stressfree you can overcome this horrible illness. My son was a very active boy semi pro footballer gym freak etc. Unfortunately he has taken drugs in the past and that hasn't helped. Good luck with your journey keep posting with updates xx
  • Posted

hello Ashley,so good to hear how well you're doing since stopping Olanzapine...you write so well about it...how your body is telling you what it needs and that it doesn't want, junk food... you are back into your your natural state,alive and enthousiastic..without the numbing and damaging effects of the olanzapine.what a liberation you must feel.... great you are sharing your experience, inspiring for others who are caught in the med trap...
    • Posted

Hi Miriam,

Thank you....for me it was the strangest thing.I left a bag on a train with my meds in while visiting friends so i went for 5 days without meds..and began to feel normal....so i kept going with the help of a decent Psychotherapist i cant stress enough how my therapy works WITH the coming of the meds....im feeling very young again,not old,heavy or unattractive...its like ive gone back to university....the university of living.x

• Posted

Hi ashley ,, sorry late reply ,, yeah I also feelin so much better ofvmy meds aripiprizole,, abilify,, only thing is with antipsychotics and this type of meds iv found ,, that the psychosis seems to sneak back one way ir another,, can I ask how long you been off meds ?? Av done 9 months now, this is the longest time without meds for me personally,, but must admitnhave a few symtoms from time to time,, I hope I can keep symptoms at bay,, but I think that even if they return ,, I will manage them small dise meds short period of time, psychosis is suchba drag,, I totally relate to you needin coffee n cigs I smoked so much n drank caffeine while in meds, just cuz theyre so sedating hard to keep ya brain goin,, quick quedtion though,, I sometimes think that the antipsychotics give me more symtoms like different ones than what I had initially,, have yoy had that experience,, any ways fingers crossed goun stays good becaz we deserve it much love xxx
    • Posted

Hi Parvin, ive been 8 weeks off olanzapine, with no psycosis symptoms at all, i agree its only been a short time,but again ive had help with weekly sessions with a psycotherapist. I was on olanzapine for about 7 years and all that time never questioned taking  the medication its only now when im off medication can i see really what i had become.Over weight,un energised,negative about most thinks,not being able to feel emotion or judge emotion well,almost like i was flatlining in one state,very underconfident unable to add to a social conversation,there was something for my that EVERY MORNING i took a pill i was REMINDED I was"ILL"..So everyday my day started with me thinking i was mentally impaired or mentally ill or a lunatic....off meds i dont feel like that, i feel as bright clever and interesting as any other person,its a trap a catch 22 situation...we CAN GET STUCK IN A ROUTINE,UNQUESTIONING AND UNRESPONSIVE...again i have had help with a Psychotherapist weekly sessions something i feel has FIXED my mind.x
  • Posted

Hi ashley thanks for gettin back to me , can I ask how old you are and what your supposed diagnosisvwas am 32 now years I feel like iv lost could kick meself n my diagnisos was psychosis,, n I couldnr have explained it better myself,, I feel all those things you said are so true, about bein labelled losin self confidence tryin to get threw day best ya can ,, basically being trezted like vulnerable person ,, while all the time it was the medication doun that to us,, aaaa I feel robbed robbed of so many years of my life, but on positive I have great insight into illness n services n wont be gettin robbed any more! ,,, yep it is a short while yourself of meds n myself now av reached 9 montb barrier ,, never felt more well although had testing days and people half of the battle is , is getting self belief back n confidence,, personally 7 years on meds has havked away at my self belief, but am fightin for what I believe in ,, before diagnosis I was confident sharp funny ,strong helpful kind ,, ambitious many great things ,, the thing am having to work on most is clawing back the things that make me me,, the things the meds have disguised flattened and dampened,, although all happening naturally,, I do have times of doubt when I never used to,, half the time the whole mental health services can direct you in total opposite direction you wanna be goin,, so for me personallybam focusing on things that make me happy,, dreams fun times etc etc ,, remember there is no right or wrong way in this life,, just as long as you have good intentions ,, you cant go wrong,, am proud that yourdoin so well,, am proud of myself aswell,, wink n7ce to be able to have a convo ay without needed 10 coffees haha jees the things weve had to do

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.