Off sertraline and symptom free ??

Posted , 5 users are following.

As I understand it once you have your course of sertraline you may not need to take it again has anyone i this group stopped taking their medication and been symptom free ?

The thought of coming off these tablets terrifies me I didn't actually realise how ill I was until I started the treatment and experienced calmness and sleep every night and the constant running commentary in my head stopped! I couldn't go back to that I don't have the energy but I wonder where does this end my dose has increased form 50 to 125 in 6 months, is this me now for the next few years if so fine but keen to hear from everyone else and their experiences of being sertraline free and how this changed them, for the better or worse - thanks Kerry x

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kerry, I think this is different for everyone. From what I’ve heard, 25% of the population experience one episode of a nervous breakdown, get on some med, recover from it, get off the med and never have another episode again. Then, there are the rest of us, me included. I have been on and off this med 8-9 times for about 2 decades. I am lucky in that when I am on this med I am symptoms-free for the most part (I am pure O, diagnosed with OCD, depression, GAD). But not long after I get off of the med, my world comes crashing down and I get another attack. I am currently on 100mg. At this point I am resigned to being on this med till I die or it longer works – then I have no choice but try a different med. My hope is someday reduce my dose to a maintenance dose of 50mg.  
    • Posted

Thanks for sharing, I'm pleased you've found something that works for you for now, xx

• Posted

I've been on this med 18months now and I'm back to normal unless something happens new to my daily routine makes me nervous and anxious.

But I have to say this med helped me alot that I'm afraid to stop taking it .

Also sometimes I have this feeling that as if someone scared me and it goes away after .

I'm so not ready to stop .

• Posted

I've only been on this med for 3 weeks.  All my symptoms are not gone but I do see some improvement.  After what I experienced for the last few months, I honestly don't care if I have to stay on this med for a long period of time.  It hit me out of the blue and completely escalated.  I know a few things that may have brought it on but I mean I've gone through similar things before and it never blew up on me the way it did this time.  I think this decision is something you and your doctor will need to discuss. 

• Posted

Thanks Carol, I'm happy on sertraline for now I can't see myself coming off it in the near future, I went to the docs last week and the state of our NHS at the moment means you are rushed in and rushed out I have no confidence that they even bother to read my notes. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.