OFF the Citalopram (Celexa)

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a month long bad experience every day on just 10mg of this drug, every day got worse. Finally I realized I CANNOT stay on it... and so, on my own, started tapering it.

I had already found out from lab tests that my sodium level was dropping, which can be a sad effect of this drug...Took the same test 4 days later and it was 3 pts above the crucial danger level...SO...I knew I was doing the right thing and was about to email my Dr.

Ironically enough, when I got on the Kaiser website there was an email from my Dr saying to STOP the Celexa immediately... I wrote back and said, yes, started two days ago and told him of how I was tapering...but he said stop NOW... A few unpleasant withdrawal effects but NOTHING like being on the drug!

So if any of you have now or ever had trouble with sodium levels PLEASE check this out with your Dr (unless he is already monitoring you for this.) Only Three points lower and I would have been in the Danger zone with a risk of seizure or heart attack. I am angry with myself for just 'trusting' it was an ok drug for me to take and not Googling it to begin with BEFORE I started taking it. I will not make that mistake again!

Best wishes to everyone.

Betty

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Betty, I am so happy for you !! I had a similar experience but cutting to the chase. After two attempts to stop, I succeeded and have never felt better. They can be very dangerous for some and I pray that others will heed the warning signs. ' If it doesn't feel good, do not do it " I was actually more depressed on them than off them. Sometimes we can become so desperate, that a pill seems like a welcome relief. For some it can have terrible consequenses and a lot more unnecessary pain and anguish.Doctors are not always right and most of them listen to the Pharmas reps who push these nasty substances. If more people would realise that their pain comes from within and experiment with meditation etc ather than the so called easy fix of a pill. I personally started to meditate and through that practice came to realise that it was not a chemical imbalance in my brain but rather a lack of disipline. Control your thoughts and your on the road to recovery. I love life now. All the best Betty and congratulations on the great job you have done for yourself.

• Posted

Dear Des, THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH for this nice, encouraging reply... Between you and Ben Arion (email newsletter) you certainly have reinforced in me the truth about the power of meditation! smile I certainly gave myself a rough lesson to 'get my attention' ... but its all ok... still going through some tough withdrawals at times, but am OK! Thank you again! <3

• Posted

Hi Betty that is quite scarry, what made you have test for sodium. Thanks pat
    • Posted

Hi Ladies. Just read your comments on your sodium levels. Why are they checked ?
    • Posted

To Pat and Tuppence,

My doctor routinely does full blood counts on me...about a year ago, I was so tired it was hard to move... tests revealed it was low sodium... He nor no one else has been able to figure out WHAT caused (s) it...

I complained to him that the pill was making me both tired and sick so he ordered the blood work...and it showed low sodium... It was THEN I started Googling, and if ONLY I had done this BEFORE I took that blasted pill, I never would have put the first one in my mouth, so its not just the dr but MYself I hold accountable... What works for me is Himalayan Pink salt...regular table salt has no value (just flavoring!) and it brought my levels up. (fun proving that to the dr! smile )

Whenever the Dr does routine blood work checks on you, sodium levels is included in the bloodwork tests. So been doubling up on the pink salt. Tomorrow I go in the 3rd blood tests to see if the level is up. I SO hope and pray so. Today was a bad feeling day...I still hold the pill accountable. If your sodium levels are normal, chances are Celexa won't be a problem...but I think (my opinion) it should be checked occasionally.

Thanks for asking the questions. Take care!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.