Off Ven for a month, feeling really really ill

Posted , 2 users are following.

Stomach upset/pain is the big problem, tho I am also depressed. Have started taking a tranq (oxazepam) to alleviate symptoms but of course concerned about having to get off the tranq eventually. Feeling very isolated and scared.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear that. I'm nearly at three months off and have stomach problems too but the ither symptoms have almost completely subsided.

Did you come off quickly or did you taper down?

• Posted

I tapered off VERY slowly, mgs  a week, from a dose of just 37.5 mgs. I think everyone must react differently to thsi drug. I felt good today, and hope I will have some more good days in the next while. Thanks for getting in touch.
    • Posted

Thanks for your support. Means a lot. Someone on this site mentioned that withdrawal from ADs is as hard as withdrawal from heroin! I don't have experience with heroin, but withdrawing from Effexor sure is brutal!

• Posted

You're very welcome and you're right it is very tough and often very lonely and isolating.  I can't even tell if what I'm now going through (10 weeks off) is withdrawal or something else.  All tests come back negative, feels like an endless loop.

• Posted

Sorry to hear this. What kind of tests are you having? To see if the Ven is still in your system? Apparently, it is the neural pathways in our brains that have to revert to normal and that takes a long time ...
    • Posted

Yeah I've read up a lot on it. It's been so long now that the majority of issues have dropped.  I've had blood tests including thyroid and galndular fever as I've been hading really bad pressure headaches ... these all seem to be related to the stomach though as it's after food, or after certain food.

None of this was there before the withdrawal which is what's making me consider going back on the pills to see if it alleviates it.  Even a lower dose might do so from what I've been told but there are no guarantees so I'm just let being unsure.

I came off this in 2009 after 8 years and didn't have these problems. I'm older now and doing less exercise but I eat way, way better than I did back then so seems odd that it would create this sort of problem now.  Bit of a mystery!

• Posted

A bit of a mystery indeed! Right now, I am feeling much the way I did when I was taking 35.5 mgs of Effexor -- a little anxious, with an upset stomach. So it's kind of six of one and half a dozen of the other! I hear that the withdrawal symptoms occur in waves, so I imagine I will feel worse before I feel better, but not too bad right now. It's a holiday here (Vancouver -- Canada Day) and I have to figure out how to spend the day. Where are you?

• Posted

Hood to hear you are doing better.

I had a couple of days where mentally and emotionally I was doing ok. Trying to put the physical stuff to the back of my mind but crashed badly yesterday with peak levels of anxiety and depression.

I had waves too coming off them. My trouble was that once one worst symptom passed another took its place. As bizarre as that sounds I don't know if these newer ones got worse or if I was just less aware if them at the time.

Distraction is a good tool in coping with this. Hope you've found a good way to spend the day.

I'm in Scotland and hope to have a busier day today as have stuff planned. Think that might've been the problem yesterday, not enough distraction and too focussed on my symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.