Off work again!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I am a 38 year old man who suffers with cfs & fibromyalgia, when I get a cold it brings on my symptoms really aggressively and I have to have time off work. How can I get my doc to liase with my employer regarding the time off I have and need? Hope this post makes sense??? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Have you spoken to your doctor? Some are good and supportive, some are not. Fingers-crossed!
    • Posted

thanks for your reply, yes spoken to the doc today and they have sent a letter to work explaining the illness and asking for their understanding of my time off. 
  • Posted

If you are in the UK I think the Action for ME have a Welfare Rights Officer who could advise you? Good Luck
  • Posted

Hi rob,

fibromyalgia and CFS come under the EqualityAct 2010 as they are long term conditions that affect your day to day activities you don't say whether yr employer is aware of this but if they are you can ask them to make reasonable adjustments one of these could be that any sickness related to these conditions is not counted with regular sickness eg flu or tonsillitis. Under this act you should not face any disciplinary action, bullying or intimidation for needing extra sick days. 

• Posted

Hi Susie, 

Thanks for your reply, yes work are aware and have been good so far but I get the feeling they are starting to get fed up with me having time off. Work have a letter from my doctor asking for their understanding so I guess I don't really need to do anything unless I get disciplinary action for my time off??

• Posted

I've been off of work since September awaiting first appointment with hospital consultant. My managers and Occupational Health are aware and out of the blue I've received forms to allow them access to my medical records. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.