Offensive smell coming from boils

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all, I've been suffering from HS for a few years now and my condition has progressivly got worst, theres not a day that goes by where I don't have a boil somewhere on my body.  My worst affected area is just underneath my breasts, between them I currently have three boils.  Lately though despite using hibi scrub and changing dressings at least once (on occasion twice a day), i have noticed over the last few days a really bad smell coming from my breast area.  At first I thought maybe it weas just a lot of sweat from rushing around, but it doesn't smell like sweat, in fact I can't really describe the smell other than to say its horrible.  I haven't been to my doctors in a long while about my condition as I have been managing it myself at home, I was just wondering if other HS sufferers have experienced this or is it just in my head.  I'm unsure if I should go the doctors about it.  My partner claims he cannot smell anything, but I just know I can and I'm sure it's not in my head.  Any advice, hints and tips would be greatly welcome as I'm at my wits end now.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello Tiadrop! What you are experiencing is COMPLETELY normal and please do not feel ashamed or disgusted. Sometimes when my abcesses are small or under the skin I still continue to smell and leak for weeks. Just another lovely symptom of HS. I keep baby wipes handy when this happens. It's a very temp fix but it helps. I use unscented and "un" everything with my wipes.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for replying, I can rest easy now and just find a way to accept this is going to happen.  I'm just glad to know I'm not going mad lol.  I shall carry on with what I am already doing then and like you find some baby wipes or antibacterial wipes.  Thank you again for your quick reply smile
  • Posted

Hi I'm an HS sufferer and at times have had abscess's the size of golf balls under my arms. The smell from them and the surrounding area can only be described as putrid. I also have the same under my boobs on a much smaller scale and sometimes these too also smell quite bad. I think the combination of skin breaking down and sweat causes this and also a chemical interaction from clothing may cause it as well.. I've gone through the depression stage and now accept this awful condition but it could be an awful lot worse whereby we could suffer from more serious diseases. It is painful and unpleasant and draining and many other things but it's not life threatening . Try some tea tree oil diluted in water and swab the boob area. This has helped me a lot with smell and I apply sudocream as well.
  • Posted

Hi when you have an infection you need to go to the doctors and get ab's.   If you leave them then the condition will get worse coz they will just cause more and more damage to the lower levels of your skin.   The infections will then be able to travel further and you will get multiple ones. 

Have you seen a dermatologist?  If not ask for a referral.  x

• Posted

I think that this is completely normal. I have been suffering with this for a little over a year now and the worse my condition has gotten the more I notice the smell. It's so embarrassing but something I have learned to live with sad
  • Posted

Hi I also suffer from HS I mostly get them under my arm and groin area. I've already had surgery under one arm and in the process of having it under the other arm. I have a fowl smell also. I currently have 2 on my face and 6 under my right arm. Wish there was a cure for HS

• Posted

How did the surgery go? I am scheduled to have my surgery in two months. Was the recovery process short? How was the pain?
  • Posted

Hi

I sometimes have blemish spots under my brests. ( hope this is the good translation )

It smells bad. And gets red. It also gives my skin some sort of shine. I have a cream from the doctor that really helps.

I have hs under my armpits. And rarely a boil under my brests. But I do have those blemish spots a lot under my brests.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.