Official side effects -v- actual side effects

Posted , 2 users are following.

i was first prescribed ELIQUIS in April last year. i wss hospitalised with pneumonia just as the covid pandemic started so, as soon as they could, i was discharged from hospital. it was only much later that i wondered if this was the start of my problems. Two weeks after discharge, i was rushed back into hospital and found to have bilateral pulmonary embolism and DVT. i was also found to have Leiden V. i was started on ELIQUIS and after a week of immobility, was discharged and told to continue with the drug. i consulted my GP a few times as i was feeling extremely breathless. i couldnt climb the stairs without gasping. I felt incredibly weak. I'd had trouble sleeping for a while but this had worsened. My weight had increased (but i was putting this down to lack of mobility). i was referred to a cardiologist who confirmed my heart was ok so that wasnt the cause of my breathlessness. I was sternly lectured about my weight gain which upset me a lot. ive been very distressed over my continuing problems. At a recent bidit to my hairdresser, she commented that my previously thick hair was thinning and she produced a handful which had come out when shed washed my hair. As well as the extreme breathlessness, i experience severe muscle fatigue - i struggle to raise my arms to blow dry my hair. i can no longer grocery shop - i have to leave my husband to it while i go and sit down. i have aching legs and low back pain. its so bad i can no longer stand at the kitchen sink. i was so forgetful i was growing worried i was developing dementia. i struggle with blurred vision.

i am a 62 year old woman. until i was started on ELIQUIS i was very active. since starting this drug ive become an old woman. i was on other medication prior to being started on this so i cant totally blame it for the severe headaches i suffer with but i certainly have them daily which is new. the same can be said for the dizziness/lightheadedness i suffer. i have burning feelings in my toes - but im type 2 diabetic and worried i was suffering neuropathy

the "official" side effects say dizziness is possible - none of the other symptoms i have are mentioned so i didnt suspect a link until i found this and similar sites.

i emailed the manufacturers of this drug. they emailed and telephoned me (!) recommending that i consult my GP with a view to being taken off ELIQUIS and put on something else. I was told they couldnt discuss matters with me but would be happy to talk further with my GP. Yesterday, i received a letter asking for my GP's details plus batch numbers etc of my medication. This has made me very suspicious. SOMETHING IS SERIOUSLY WRONG WITH THIS MEDICATION.

i wanted to suggest that everyone who is or has experienced side effects should contact the manufacturers. it would be interesting to see the outcome.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

So far my hair is still intact but the rest, i have them all, pain in my neck, back, shooting pain in both arms and legs, severe headache pain killers don't touch the pain then the depressed after 3 or 4 days, i keep stopping them I have been on 2 other thinners all the same, I have afib my doctor says take the thinners or have a stroke! so a stroke it it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.