Officially OVER ONE YEAR

Posted , 9 users are following.

Today is one year + 1day post bilateral pkr -(and subsequent arthroscopic removal of a bone spur in May 2017 on left side).

Hard to believe.....

The pain,lack of sleep, insanity,scar tissue, sensation changes, swelling (and more swelling),depression,mobility have (mostly) all resolved.

My cycles of feel good, do more,get a setback are over.

I still get some tiny trace swelling in my left ankle. My left side gets a little achy.

Overall, flex and extension remain excellent -3/140.

I ACTUALLY HAVE shape to my leg and a KNEECAP instead of two massive tree trunks.

I can comfortably walk 2-3miles at 3mph on the treadmill. I can go up and down stairs without clinging one to the handrail in fear of falling or to hoist myself up. I have equal balance and dont limp or wobble to one side.

My sensation in the knees are still not 100% but changes weekly to more feelings.

Some days i know they are there and other days they are so much a part of me, the scars are all that prove i had surgery.

Kneeling is still sensitive but doable-padding helps.

I have had maybe 5 pain pills (includes post arthroscopy) since one month out but still take 400mg ibuprofen most every day.

I haven't returned to my baseline energy since the last surgery but accept my "new normal" which means i get A LOT done but all with rest periods in between. What used to take 3 days to do may take 5 days or 3 weeks. I dont care. I care that I CAN DO IT.

I got lazy about stretching and tight hips and back pain were my "reward". So, stretching is an EVERY DAY occurance with the immediate benefit of no more tight hips or back pain.

My doc one year follow up is the first Friday in December.

I look forward to the date with my snowshoes since skiing is frowned upon.

Perserverance. I screamed,cried,yelled some more,researched,asked questions,did my PT diligently and i PERSERVERED.

All of you will to. This journey is an enigma. No ONE is alike despite all the similarities. Be kind to yourselves. Be diligent but mostly, perservere. "I CAN" does more for the recovery process than anything else.

Good luck to all the "kneebies"

May the healing be with you wink

:D

3 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hey! Fantastic!

Loved the bit about having a knee and not tree trunk!

Wow, it certainly makes us stronger in the long run!

Amazing, and so glad to hear your update!

• Posted

Wow glad you are doing well...I did have tkr two years ago my side feel stiff and achy....and also my back thigh...feel tight...I'm suppose to do the other knee but I'm not ready.....I am afraid that my right leg still weak

• Posted

How wonderful for you! Glad to hear that it all was worth it.

?I'm still finding my RTKR a struggle after 8 months - I know there is still time for improvement and remain hopeful.

?Take care!

• Posted

great news..my tkr will be a year on dec. 1..but so many probs. with lateral side..rubbing stiff..and on and on..seeing surgeon again and he said i could have a scope ..i am so hoping the outcome will be as good as yours..wtg..huggzz
  • Posted

AuntEG, thanx for your encouragement ?? everything you mentioned ive done or looked at. After both my knees being replaced this is where I go for help and encouragement, in "the struggle" Thanx again!

• Posted

Congrats! You sound very happy!

Do you ever gets swelling?

I am 17 Monty’s PKR and still issues with swelling . I was planning on a 8K walk / turkey trot and suddenly I’m all swelled up . I just can’t figure it out and it’s so upsetting . I seems maybe when I carry/ lift my grandkids that it swells . 

What did you do to strengthen ? 

My other knee has a knee cap issue so I can’t do lunges and oh I don’t know I just wish someone could help me with this . I have good days then all sudden I’m back iceing . I wonder if it’s slipping meaning the partial . Like did it not take good enough ? How bad were your knees and how long did Doc day they would last . Just realized this is so long ! Sorry I’m just beside myself sad

Debbie 

• Posted

Swelling on my left leg/knee happens some ,but not much, after standing all day(12hrs) 4 out 5 days in a row.

I had a variety of strengthening exercises. One legged step up and downs were the most beneficial. I cont to progress with those-started barely doing 4 INCHES now doing 20inches right leg and 16 inches left unaided. I can do 20 on left holding on. A chair is roughly 20 inches. This exercise engages quad,glute,hamstring. Gave me back my balance.

I saw doc. Xrays showed all is well. I thought the left partial had loosened. He said they should last me a "long, long time" 20-25yrs! They are partials....

I wonder if your knee cap is from scar tissue? Mine was "catching"and screwed me up on the stairs. My left leg/knee had a lot more issues w scaring than right. PT used a plunger to lift the kneecap and break the tissue loose. I went back to PT after the arthroscopy. This far out, not sure what would work for you. Left knee aches in cold weather but i found that whether i push it or not, the ache isnt any worse and my mobility is better....

Check out youtube vidoes on strengthening your VMO muscle. This helped me a bunch.

Good luck. Sorry took so long to answer. Not on site very often these days smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.