Oflaxacin and Ciprodex ear drops

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello. Looking for some advice. My 7 year old son currently has an ear infection. Can anyone tell me if the floxin eardrops are associates with the same terrible side effects as the oral antibiotics?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

YES!!!  I knew this but a quick search revealed "Floxin Otic (ofloxacin) is a fluoroquinolone antibiotic used to treat ear infections."  The most well known Fluoroqinolone is Ciprofloxacin but there are others, including Ofloxacin, Levofloxacin, and Moxifloxacin (UK names).

Please ask your doctor for different ear drops. If he says that the drops don't have the same effects as they aren't ingested tell him that many children have been adversely affected by them, just the same as with the tablets.  In the UK we had a very upsetting case of a 4 year old boy crying in agony after being given FQ ear drops. Also, a woman reported to the recent European Medicines Agency review that she has had ear and hearing problems along with many other side effects (severe headaches etc. -  available on the transcript if your doctor can be bothered to look!) after being prescribed the drops.

Your child and his hearing are very precious. Please don't take the risk.

The FDA ruled in 2016 that the oral tablets risks often outweigh the benefits - the same applies to the ear and eye drops.

Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.