OGD

Posted , 5 users are following.

Help. Please put me at ease ive already cancelled 3 scopes as im petrified. I work as hca and have been in the rooms where these are performed and have seen sedated e patients squirm and wriggle as if in pain and staff having to help hold them. I have phobia of anyone going near. My mouth let alone put long pipe. In it where i. Will choke most definitely. Also the thought of the. Mouth g spray what if i can't swallow. My. Own saliva or what if i get sedated but still fully aware. And am. Unable to. Tell. Them. To stop. Im sh----ng bricks ive. One coming up very soon and. Need it bad.

Moderator comment: I have edited this post due to the swearing. These are open forums so as per the T&Cs please do not use offensive language in posts otherwise they may be deleted.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I have had one of these done. I had the sedation and was totally unaware if what went on and remembered nothing afterwards. You do not need to have the spray as well, anything like that makes me heave. I did not even have a sore throat, please have it done if it has been recommended, it is for your benefit and important, there is nothing to be afraid of.

I wish you all the luck in the world.

• Posted

Thanks very much rosie for. That its good to hear positive replies and not all negative ones. Ill let you know when ive done it

• Posted

Hi Pipp, I've had 2 of these over the last few years and compared to the very first one that I had in early 2000, this procedure has improved no end. Where I had the squirming back in 2000 the current 2 in 2016 & recently this year have been fine. I'm not saying I'm not nervous because I get terrified but I have the throat spray and the sedation and I can honestly say I don't remember anything which is perfect. the problem is having this procedure maybe the only way of diagnosing whats wrong with you, as in my case, so you must have this procedure.

Please don't worry, have both medications and if it happens that you don't sleep very well the night before that will help as it did in my case because I was so tired it just made me sleep!!

Re book your appointment and have it done, you'll be fine. Take care

• Posted

Cheers Catherine yes it has improved over the yrs i know that yes prehaps sedation is the best way to go about it? Ill get a consult before hand thanks again

• Posted

I think you are being a drama queen, just get on with it, you seem very unprofessional to working in health care, don't have it if you don't want it, with a good diet and self care you can sort out an ulcer.

• Posted

Hi Joanne yes i prob am over dramatic when it comes to. Something like that, but just to. Inform you as a hca for the past 16 yrs with plenty of courses and experience under my belt i am far from unprofessional in fact quite the opposite. Alot of patients go through the same thing and i am here to support them and encourage them, but when shoe on other foot its a different case as we all have our fears and this would be mine and im looking for advice and positive stories from peoples experience . I do hope to god you are not in the health service looking after patients and telling them just :

"to get on with it" definitely not an empathetic or sympathetic person.

• Posted

I think you're being a bit harsh. The worst patients are always those that work in this industry because they see what happens to people also don't forget an hca isn't medically trained and just someone who helps out. Having worked in the healthcare industry previously its irrelevant that you know whats going to happen as people's fears are real and when it happens to them its a very different story.

Stomach ulcers can't be treated until they find out the cause which isn't always evident unless you look inside. People are under the impression that diet and stress cause ulcers which there isn't any evidence to substantiate this claim. So saying they need a good diet in alot of cases isn't necessary because they probably already do the only thing that is generally needed is to cut out foods that make symptoms worse which isn't always the ones that you think such as spicy or very rich foods. Eating smaller amounts is far better.

• Posted

Hi Katherine your absolutely correct in what you said i have tried different diets cutting out different foods nothing has helped to ease or worsen my symptoms but i am a bad patient just because i do. Know alot of what goes on etc. Like what you said until my consultant can see whats going on in the inside then i can only be treated. Anyways i value your opinion and experience and i do have to say it has somewhat changed my. Perception on things. And sometimes it only takes one person to say something to change the way you think.

• Posted

Hi Pipps, I have found this site fantastic for information, I'm someone who has worked in the healthcare industry for a few years and I'm very interested in medical facts and if I'd had my time again I would've been a nurse but unfortunately I've had my fair share of experiences over the last few years. I use the internet as a tool to find out as much as I can. I'm not in this industry anymore but I know alot of GP's and drs and nurses at the local hospital and talking to them, most would be just like you.

I have found that you build up the nervousness in your head so that you're scared stiff but know you have to go through it and once its done you just think 'well that wasn't so bad'. I had my gallbladder out 3 years ago and I was terrified, the thought of having a general anaesthetic and what pain I'd be in afterwards but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and alot of this was down to the staff in the hospital and the care that they gave me and making sure that I wasn't in pain.

So be brave, you can do it and let me know.

• Posted

My opinion stands, all you have done is scared anyone else about to go through this to death, well done!!

My daughter is a nurse in an endoscopy suite and I have had 3 of these, it is necessary as you know and the best way to go is to talk to the staff about your fears beforehand.

Good luck

• Posted

Joanne i have not scared anyone??? Thats how. I feel i have also done my placement in endoscopy suite and have seen first hand no. Point covering up what goes on but its good to know people's experience and to put people at ease thats my opinion and unless you have worked there yourself then you will understand

• Posted

Ho Pipps you haven't scared anyone, the whole point of this site is that people can share their experiences, good and bad and most people are like you nervous, scared and wanting to hear from others to give their experiences.

There has been medical professionals on other threads of this site that are the same as you and that to me is only natural otherwise this forum and others like it wouldn't exist, its all about sharing and supporting others through a difficult time.

Let me know when you finally have it done and how you get on.

• Posted

ive had a endoscopy i was completely out! no pain at all. They woke me up and i felt no pain or soreness after. There is nothing to worry about. The pain of the condition i had was far more uncomfortable than the procedure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.