OGD phobia

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

Can anyone give me reassurance on getting an ogd done under sedation I'm absolutely terrified. I work. In a hospital and have assisted in scope area and was horrible to. See patients squirming and looking as if they are aware of what is going on. I've cancelled 3 times and have bad reflux heartburn and stomach pain for. Past 3 yrs Im.on nexium also whixh is doubled to 80mg daily. Is it really as bad as I. Think??

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pipps, yes I know the feeling. I had one a couple of years ago and due another in two weeks. I told them how nervous I was as I had an awful one over a decade earlier and opted for the throat spray and the sedation this time. It was the best thing ever as I don't remember anything, only the start, then thats it, absolutely nothing. My dad had one a short while ago and he had both and he knew what was going on but it didn't hurt or feel uncomfortable.

So I would say have both and then at least you'll be relaxed.

Let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Thanks Catherine for. That. Yes. Prehaps. I. Will but even been relaxed. What if. I want to. Pull. It out and have not got the ability to. Do. So. And feel. Like I'm choking??

• Posted

I hope that wouldn't happen. When I had my first it was about 16 yrs ago and the drugs weren't as good and I did try and pull it out and they just put more drugs into me which did the trick. The endoscope is alot thinner now and drugs so much better plus I think once they've got passed the throat you wouldn't feel it anymore.

Tell them how nervous you are and they'll make sure you have enough drugs so that you don't feel anything.

When is yours booked? Mines on the 19th, in 2 weeks.

Let me know how yours goes.

• Posted

Oh gosh come back and let me know I'm waiting surgical review as I asked for a general anaesthetic

• Posted

my mum knows someone that has to have a general but only after several failed attempts using sedation and local have they decided to do it this way.

Hopefully mine will be like last time and I don't remember any of it apart from the initial insertion and then waking up in recovery and feeling a bit sore inside but then I do have a sensitive stomach.

I'll let you know how it goes. Thankfully I'm going to the cottage hospital rather than the main hospital as the care is alot better as they have more time than the main hospital but they're still very good. I couldn't complain, I've always been treated well.

Let me know how your review goes.

• Posted

Hi Pips1

I can completely understand how you feel about having an OGD. Having had 3 of them, all under sedation, yes it's an odd experience, and I have a real horror of having anything at the back of my throat, even tongue depressors set me off, that said, it the OGD doesn't take long, plus the staff in the treatment room help to keep the patient calm.

Recovery from sedation doesn't take long, no driving, understandably. Having someone with you for at least overnight is important as a back up, but just as a precaution. Other than being a bit sleepy afterwards I was fine by the next day.

I thought about backing out, but glad I went for it. I had an ulcer, now treated, a hiatus hernia, and a polyp which is so far benign.

I can recall what happened, bit fuzzy, but it didn't stop me going back for the follow up scopes. Hope that helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.