Oh boy! Where to start with bunions :(

Posted , 4 users are following.

Basically it runs in my mum's family sad I spent all of my school years pretending I had verrucas because I couldn't bare the thought of going barefoot in PE . I'd always take spare thick socks at a sleep over parties and now in my adult life my husband is not allowed to look at my feet sad that's 7 years of ducking and diving for him.

I'm booked in for surgery in two days but really scared. Can anyone shed some light xxx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Leonnie - don’t be scared it’ll be the best thing you do!  I’ve had both my bunions removed and hammertoes fused a year apart and I don’t regret it one bit.   There’s a. It of pain initially but is easily managed with painkillers and you’ll  be non weight bearing for six weeks or so

Good luck and keep us posted on how youre getting on.

Jane

• Posted

Should read read a bit of pain not a lot of pain!!

• Posted

I’ve been the same way! I’ve avoided situations in which people could see my feet. I wouldn’t go to the beach with my friends in fear that they would see my feet but as I got older I would share my fears with my close friends. Are you getting both feet done? Mine was hereditary as well and I got both done. Just make sure you prepare yourself. Get crutches, wheelchair and a shower chair. Some ice for the healing process and do light movements when you can. Dangle your feet on the side of the bed before you get up for the washroom. The worst part for me is getting up because I feel the blood rushing to my feet. Oh, and make sure to elevate your feet on a couple of pillows. Best of luck!
  • Posted

Hi Leonnie. I had a bunionectomy together with straightening of the toes. This was 8 weeks ago. Do not worry believe me it is well worth it. I have been told that a bunionectomy is not so painful. All you have to do his just obey what your surgeon tells you. If he informs you that you need to rest with your foot up for a couple of weeks. Then do so and you will not regret it. My foot is still quite swollen but already looking so much better then the right one.

Good luck Leonnie and do not worry you are still young so the healing us quicker. I am 69........yes waited too long before the op but as you are feeling now I too was afraid to go through the op. And now I have no regrets. Keep me informed ok.GOOD LUCK😃😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.