Oh, I'm so upset !!!

Posted , 11 users are following.

I've just been to my weekly slimming class, and although I did well and lost 4 1/2 lb, yay!!, I saw a lady who has just returned to class after having a full knee replacement two months ago, I'm at 6 months partial knee replacement. She is using one crutch, no pain in knee and her scar is amazing, just a thin line. I'm still in pain, using a walking stick and still having problems with kneecap crunching and standing from sitting and stairs. She had same surgeon as me also. I feel like a right wuss!

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Oh Im so upset! Susan lost 4 1/2 lbs at Slimming Club this week, and I didnt lose anything! biggrinredface

We are all different, our bodies, our lives, and DEFINITELY our knees! This isnt an operation that you can generalise about - I got to the point where if anyone else had said "Oh, youre still using crutches? I thought youd be better by now" Id have screamed! Everyone knows of someone who knows someone else who was out of Hospital after a day, driving at 4 weeks, back to work at 6 weeks.......I do wonder if there's an element of the Urban Myth about these stories..........

Im at 23 weeks, I still take painkillers, still have stiffness and sweling, still use at least one crutch......I have OA in my left knee, but even so.....

If anything, take comfort from the fact you and this other lady had the same surgeon - maybe if youd had a different one, youd now be worrying that he was substandard. At least you know he does good work.

Keep going my friend, we'll all get there in the end! xx

• Posted

Thanks Terri,and thanks everyone. I am so grateful for this forum as you all put things into perspective. x.
    • Posted

That rings a bell - when I went back to surgeon at 7 weeks he said ' oh you shouldnt be on 2 crutches' and I nearly hit him with one! Especially as the physio said stay on the crutches until you are really confindent and not walking with a limp ! Everyone goes through the same sort of experiences and phases but its the itmescales, ontext, perosnality, history and complications that differ. Thats why basically everyone on here does understand as the basic journey is the same but we all take a few twists and turns along the route. Sometimes i think if we can mentally accomodate our knee this helps with the stress. I also had ampytripyline and it was really great for sleep - I only had it at night and one course and then I didnt need it any more. Better than tramadol for sure. 
  • Posted

You ladies and men with OA  have you tried Turmeric tabs or made the paste.  I have a friend who was told she was too young to have her knee done, in so much pain she started with the turmeric paste and her pains have gone after 1 month of sticking to it.

I have an old wives tale about wine corks, this cann help cure restless legs and cramp.  I kinow it works because three days after I placed some corks ( had to drink the wine first) my restless legs syndrome stopped and although I no longer drink the wine, I have never removed the corks, only change the cotton hanky wrapper, and no restless leg or cramps.... worth trying if only to drink the wine first...and they must be cork corks not the plastic type.redface

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.