oh my god-i finally have a diagnosis-my story (LONG!)

Posted , 4 users are following.

my main complaint has always been painful sex, well for the last 2 and a half years at least. my partner and i had been having a pretty normal sex life until bang, one day it just started hurting, really really bad.

so i took a god-awful flu around the same time which completely wiped me off my feet-fever, hallucinations, tonsilitis, you name it! so i was prescribed an awful lot of antibiotics and what not.

so this naturally lead to a bout of thrush which i wasn't really prone to in the first place. treated the thrush, treated my partner and still painful sex and on random days the most god awful itching.

went to my doctor countless times and was finally referred to the gynae clinic at the hospital. trainee doctor examined me and referred me to genito-urinary clinic (i.e. STD clinic!). no way was i going there.

so i paid to go private (£350 for a 30min consultation, banged it on the credit card) was told i had thrush again and was sent skipping with my canestan.

treated me, treated boyf, still painful sex. paid to go private (diff consultant a second time) was told i had an erosion and was booked in for a cauterisation (?)

months later, still no relief... given dilators this time.

3 months later... anaesthetic lubricant

2 months later... dermovate

and in 2 months i'm booked in for a skin biopsy.

as i'm sure many of you have experienced yourself, it is extremely frustrating being passed from pillar to post and health professionals not taking you seriously. so i've been researching on the internet for months and finally, tonight i've diagnosed myself. all the pieces of the puzzle fell into place.

i just know when i have my skin biopsy in september it is going to confirm LS.

on intercourse i experience an extreme burning sensation, highly inflammed-sex is nearly impossible so we haven't attempted sex for a year now, i have random days where i will itch like mad and claw myself red, i sometimes develop red blisters around my genitals, i bleed when i have bowel movements... etc etc

for so long i have thought that the pain and all of it was just in my head. i actually can't wait for the skin biopsy so this can be confirmed i can finally be confident that the problem is being dealt with effectively.

it is so comforting to know that there are others out there experiencing the same thing.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hiya miffy, Why did the doc prescibe dermovate and dialators and washes for you etc in the begining. They wouldn't have done that if there were no symptoms to treat would they. Did they say? Wasn't a biopsy booked as well . I find what they're saying unbelievable, (can't imagine how you're feeling).

Have you thought about what the next step might be coz i'm at a loss to say anything to help you here, especially after the 2 years of suffering you've already been through.

What about going back to your GP and asking for a private consultation with a dermatologist . Did you ever get to see a dermatologist coz i'm thinking it was a gyney you saw.

• Posted

:x

Hi Miffy and all.So sorry to hear about your recent visit to ur gyni.Yes I would go straight back to your GP and demand to see someone else.You must be feeling pretty low.I was starting to think I was coping ok with it.Then I had a bad flare up.Got a quick app: with my gyni only to be told

I had caught thrush(never had it B4 in my life) I was so upset what with the L.S. as well, but she said u can catch it from a dirty glass etc from a pub.She prescribed a one dose of Fluconazole capsule.Which not only got rid of the thrush very quickly but calmed the L.S. a lot.I also got some upsetting news from my eldest sister that she to has just been diagnosed with L.S.and very upset.She went to same gyni as me and said they are saying now that in some cases it could be heredity and we both have arthritis which can be due to your inmune system.My younger sister is fine

but she dose not have arthritis.Well Miffy I really do hope the next time we hear from you.You will have had some positive news and I will be thinking of you.Till then please take care and stay positive..Kind Regards D

• Posted

well the consultant said that she had originally been thinking that i had a skin condition but because she has tried me on the dermovate, dilators and god knows what else... then she has now decided that i don't and that i have a sexual dysfunction.

so basically... i don't experience any pain, that it is all imagined.

so while i do think i would probably benefit from counselling anyway (been so long since i last had sex i probably NEED it), i still think i need to be treated for the physical pain i'm experiencing (and NOT making up!)

so frustrating!

yeah the last time i went to see her she had said that if the cream didn't work then i'd be having a skin biopsy but this time she decided there's obviously nothing wrong with me.

i'm not a very assertive person and i know i should have insisted more but i think i'm going to call her secretary and plead for the biopsy. at least that way i'll know for sure.

i'm starting to think i'll never be 'normal' again. my relationship is going to end if this continues.

i will keep ya's posted about my progress.

thank you so much for your support guys, it means so much.

miffy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.