Oh Snap!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Broke my right ankle 5 weeks ago and can still hear the snap every time I close my eyes! I would like to say I broke it climbing a mountain, or playing basketball with my boys but that's not the case. Just stepped off a porch and lost my balance and heard my ankle snap in two places! Rushed to ER and had surgery the very next day (which I'm told is a good thing because some have to wait it out! Yikes! I cannot imagine!) It's been a royal pain this broken ankle! I am currently using a walker and have crutches. I feel off balance on the crutches so basically only use them if I need to go into a small space like my closet, walker just feels more sturdy to me. I have been off of work and hopefully will be able to return after week 6. Trying to figure out how to get around at work is troubling me. Any suggestions? I'm a banker. I can prop it up but the days get so hectic I know I won't be able to sit still all day. I have been keeping it propped up. I have not been icing it but thinking maybe I should to help the swelling after I shower. I am in a boot (another plus because I can remove it to shower) but it's so heavy! I am finally to the point where I can set it on its side instead of just keeping it pointed upwards towards the ceiling but I always wonder if this is harming my ankle? I have little to no pain in my foot, but I do have that tightening feeling in my foot when it swells up and my toes turn into packed sausages and I feel as if they'll burst. And I'm mad. Mad at the world that this happened and ruined our summer. And I get sad. Especially when I see my muscle deteriorating. I am trying my best to put on a happy face and keep positive but this is a rotten situation to be in. Just stinks. Everything about it stinks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm now going g into week 17 and still unable to walk without the aid of 1 crutch. I'm getting a lot of pain but the swelling has gone down a lot, but still get quite a bit around the outside of my ankle. At week, 6 I was still in my 2nd cast which I had on for 4 weeks then into a boot for another 4. . I had to wait 9days after my fall before they could operate because of the swelling I had. Consultant told me that there's a window they must operate in before bones start to do their own thing, I just made it, but once opened up said the break was worse than what they saw on xrays. Plates n screws both sides. Yuk. My muscle went too and the skin on my calf just hung there, horrible to look at. But once I started physio it's started to build back pretty fast. I do a lot of icing as it does help. If there's any chance of you getting a ice pack or two and can put in fridge at work so you can at least put foot up and ice for a while. I think it would help you get through the day. Good luck sx

• Posted

Dropping off ice packs before I head back so they'll already be there. Great tip! Thank! Along with water and healthy snacks!

• Posted

Hi

I am week 9 today after breaking my ankle slipping on the patio, have a plate and 6 screws, and walking without crutches the last week. Still pretty swollen, worse if I have been about a lot, and my leg happiest when up. Met someone in clinic using a hands free crutch where the leg is bent up and supported at the knee. She was very enthusiastic about it as very mobile and said expensive but able to get around very easily, so you could google that. I think the boot is great because you get to do ankle flexion exercises early ( vs being in plaster for 4-6 weeks) and that helps mobility. Someone on here advised me to do meditation and learn a language while laid up, and I have kept very busy which helps, but also hang on to the fact that this is temporary, and will get better, and focus on the good things in your life, and count your blessings. Chin up, you will get there!

janey

• Posted

Thank you Janey! You're right...I will focus on the good and let go of the rest. Good luck to you!

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

I am week 7 after surgery, and week 9 since my ankle break.  I hear ya about ruining summer and being mad and sad.  I used a knee scooter for work with a basket, worked out great. I took in ice packets and brought in snacks for the week, and co-workers have been a great help. Another suggestion is get your psychial therapist lined up if your going to use one.  My surgeon released me last week (6)to start weight bearing basically kicked me out the door with no instructions, and gave me referral to go to PT saying they will give instructions on what to do, but they were 3-4 weeks out before I can get in. Frustrating.  I don't think it matters if your leg is pointed up or on its side.  But your muscle may get stiff on back of the knee.  Hopefully when you get back to work you will feel better being around people, i sure was. PS ok to rant and be upset have to get it out of your system, and this is a great place to do it as there are alot of stories and you realize it could have been worse.  smile

Take care,

Dawnette

• Posted

Thank you dawnette. I am in the same boat. 6 weeks out (7 on Wed) and the Dr just said x-ray looks good, you can try walking on it (as tolerated)...I don't know how to walk on it anymore! I don't know where to begin! Immediately had my son drive me over to the rehabilitation center so I could turn in my referral and make an appointment but they are so far out! Having to call around town to see if I can find a place that can fit me in sooner. I want to get this show on the road!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.