Oh the pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

So I've had my sciatica/slipped disc/periformis syndrome what ever the hell it is for the last 6 months, I've had many pills given by my Gp and nothing really works!! I have had a dose of morphine, diazepam, I'm currently taking amitriptyline which ice been taking for 4 days havnt seen any benefits yet, I'm awaiting a MRI scan so hopefully this will show what's going on?? My pain is so bad it's from the base of my spine to the heelof my foot! It aches, it cramps it just hurts so bad sometimes I literally scream out!!! Does anyone else have pain like this?? And does anyone have any ideas? I'm hoping I will be given some steroid injection as I've read this can be very good for the pain I'm in?? Has anyone else had these injections?? Thanks

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hey buddy I'm on week 16 And just coming out the other side just have to deal with the physio now my whole torso has twisted still v.painfull to try to correct.

Honestly nothing really takes the pain away I had this injection it lasted for 5 days pain slightly went yet could still feel how uncomfortable the whole area was n still tossing n turning. 

Heat is your best friend I brought a floor standing element heater it's a life saver on soul of foot I had it at the bottom of my bed/sofa continually also heating lower back and bum massively helped me. Hot water bottle

I took paracetamol 1g + volteren 75mg every 4 hours helped a bit nothing major also radiosalil cream is good. 

Inflam foods also helped i.e. Strawberry lots of.

Stretching muscle(calf etc) not tendons.

Do not stand on a cold floor 

Keep showering helps morale massively 

Hanging from something with toes touching floor hurts yet does loosen

And like a guy repeats on here I know this sounds crazy yet try come off pain killers and find where the pain is and see what eases.

Try and eat high protein foods to keep muscle from deteriorating my leg is thinner than other right now I'm walking and step climbing really hurts yet is getting better daily.its awfull I feel for you😞 And hope some of this helps.

• Posted

Hey there dude, thanks for your reply, I try to avoid cold floors for sure, I will give the heat thing a go, and I would take a day of no pain over weeks of it! My cramps are insanely painful, I use ibuprofen with lysine at the moment but will give it a go with what you suggested, have you ever looked into alternative medicine? Acupuncture? I've reading alot of good things about cannabis CBD oil what are your and other people views on this? Thanks for the reply and advice!

• Posted

Yer I had acupuncture and she hooked it up to a tense machine  this did nothing for me ah all . I have tried cannabis n yes this makes things more comfortable and helps sleep yet didn't really help with pain.

• Posted

Do give a swimming pool a go vertically in water is the only thing I found that does actually take the pain away although I got abit exited n started doing stretching because it felt so good bad bad bad move lolĀ 
    • Posted

I will defo give swimming a go then, I have heard this can help and it sounds like it helped you! My main pain is in bum cheek and lower back and when the cramps start oh man it's so painful!! I try to keep good posture and have found some stretches that help but noting ever takes away the pain, thanks for all your advice and help.

• Posted

Also sounds crazy I'm in spain and the sun has super helped if u can get down there try a lay down subbed and not swimming yet clinging to the edge in a pool took pain away whilst in one think something to do with weight 

• Posted

Sounds nice dude!! I have found that hear is my friend and cold is not!! I've been taking baths with Epsom salts and relaxing remedies bath soak, this does help but only for a short time. Enjoy Spain

• Posted

Iv just remembered that mid way through i slowly bent my little toe as far back as it would go and repeated this over a day and it actually compleatly eased my foot other than the tingle
  • Posted

Hi there, 

It sounds like you're in serious bother with this, let's hope it clears up soon for you!

Amitriptyline is a tricyclic drug which can unfortunately take up to 6 weeks of use to really take effect. 

Have you had any advice on pain relief exercises yet? "Nerve flossing" exercises are safe and can help quite quickly, I would recommend looking these up if you haven't already. 

Placing ice packs along the course of the pain can provide rapid relief too. 

The steroid injections can be good for pain relief but they tend to wear off - it is important to get the back and leg moving as safely as you can, along with these injections if they are offered. 

Good luck!

Will

• Posted

Hi Will, havnt heard of nerve flossing, I will look this up, I've read and hears in most cases sciatica "should" clear up in 4-8 weeks 12 at the most! Mine has been months on months and not getting ant better! All the GP keeps throwing at me is tablets! I need now pain relief so will try all things you kind people have told me about, and yes I struggle 24/7 with the pain it's horrible!! Do you still suffer with pain?

• Posted

This video gives a really good explanation of the flossing technique:

Only perform this exercise gently and do not push through pain. 

It is true that for most people sciatica clears up within 12 weeks but this isn't the case for all unfortunately. I am lucky enough not to suffer from sciatica but as a physiotherapist I treat a lot of people with this condition so see how devastating it can be to someone who is gripped by it. 

Are you able to sleep well or are you woken up regularly with the pain? Placing pillows behind your knee and in between your legs can help with that if so. 

Will

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Hi I am in a very similar situation and wish someone would chop my lower back, buttock and leg off.  I had a car accident nearly 3 years ago that apparatantly shattered my nerves and caused severe sciatica.  I have had my nerves burnt off three times but the relief only lasts a few months, I have had every nerve drug there is, amitriptyline, gabipenton etc and nothing worse.  I am have been on Morphine tablets for 2 years and the dose keeps going up.  I have been referred to see a consultant about having a Spinal Cord Stimulator inserted and my appointment is just over 2 weeks ago.  I am praying they agree to do it as at present I have no life, I cant work and can't plan to do anything as my back pain is so unpredictable.  To make matters worse I had another car accident a week ago with a car rear ending us and I was back seat passenger.  My back has been horrific since and I have had to beg my GP for Diazapem which reluctantly they have given me 3 days worth.  I get frustrated because I keep being told to do Pilates but at the moment I can hardly walk so I just don't think I am up to it..  I too am interested in any advice regarding, meds that work, spinal cord Stimulator and if I could do pilates despite my pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.