Oil of Oregano

Posted , 3 users are following.

Recently I have had some success with suppressing my HSV2 outbreaks after many many months of back-to-back OBs.

SUMMARY:  To save you from reading the entire post with my back story, I've found a lot of success with using Oil of Oregano.  I have been using 21mg, 70% Carvacrol both topically (2 x a day) on my sores at the base of my spine and orally (5 drops morning and night with water).   In addition, I also changed my L-Lysine to 1000mg tablets which I take 2000 to 3000mg per day.  I also take a multi-vitamin and some extra E and C, but that's it.  I was working on adjusting my diet in all sort of non-sustainable (to me) ways, but I have since stopped that.  I do exercise almost daily and try to sleep enough, but the sleep is not consistent.

DISCLAIMER  First, I realize that what I'm stating here is completely unscientific.  I can't prove that anything I'm doing is actually making a difference or if it's just dumb luck.  I'll be the first to admit it.  Also, although I've made a cursory check to see if I'm killing myself with toxins using any of these products, I don't know if I'm doing more harm than good.  I just know that it seems to finally be better after almost a year of constant outbreaks.  

BACKSTORY: Anyway, I contacted GH about 32 years ago.  I didn't even get diagnosed until about 17 years later as my outbreaks were so minor and infrequent.  By then, I had been married for over a decade to someone who has to this day never had a symptom.  My OBs were about once a year and after a brief headache, I would get a sore which lasted maybe a week.  Definitely manageable.  

But as I approached menopause about 4 years ago, I started having monthly outbreaks.  Very annoying, but again not a huge deal.  Then, as my period stopped, I began having continuous outbreaks.  Now -- it became a big deal and felt unmanageable.  

So the first thing I figured was it was hormone related.  I started hormone replacement therapy (HRT) about 4 months ago.  The hot flashes went away, and I was sleeping better, but the HSV2 outbreaks seemed to get even worse.  I was really at my wits end.  My experiences with supressive meds were not successful, so I was hesitant to try them again.

To make a long story only a little longer -- about four weeks ago I found a thread where the poster said she had success with Oil of Oregano.  I was at the point where I was trying just about anything that didn't seem unreasonable.  So I went out and got some, and I almost immediately began getting results.  I am currently outbreak free for the first time in maybe a year and have been for over 2 weeks.

It's a big enough deal to me that I wanted to share this story for anyone interested.  

If you end up trying this, I wish you good luck.  This virus affects many of of us in many different ways, and I hope we are each able to find something that keeps it in check.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Thanks so much for sharing. 

I cant take the antivirals but i really feel like i need to.  I have terrible post herpetic neuralgia and I dont feel like my body can take any more.  I am taking lysine, 3000 and olive leaf.  I am going to add the oregano.  Who knows if it works, but I am terrified of an outbreak since the neuralgia feels like stomeone is stabbing my genitals with a knife

• Posted

Hi. Have u had any luck with the neuralgia? I have had it for 5 months. The worst part is my vaginal burning.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.