Ok, does anyone out there have any worries about having ...

Posted , 2 users are following.

Ok, does anyone out there have any worries about having a permanent colostomy or one for a short period of time?? I had mine for 7 months, just about got used to it, then I had a reversal operation.

Now - 100% better...

The thing is when I went in to hospital I was so ill, I lost approx 2.5 stone and was on all sorts of medicines/drugs (from the hospital) that I didnt really care what the staff did to me, anything was better than the PAIN and discomfort I was in... I was in pain for about 2 or so months then it got too unbareable I eventually went to the Doctor. Advice there is to go to the Doctor ASAP as soon as any symptons occur...

Now, its 8 years on, does anyone else out there have any problems when going to the loo??

I don't, thankfully.

So, in a nutshell, having a colostomy either temporary or permanent ISNT the end of the world... :-) G

[i:d0e73528eb]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:d0e73528eb]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Cheers mate...u made me feel alot better..im on the waiting list for the operation.i kinda have doubts about it.but its good to hear its a successfull option.its made me feel alot more secure about going ahead with the operation.thanks mate...:D

[i:07c7257f1d]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:07c7257f1d]

• Posted

I could have written your comment myself, almost identical. Severe conditions started for the first time last October, by this Feb I had had the op on emergency and next week i go back in for the reversal. I have had concerns about it like the other reply, but good to hear there's light at the end of the tunnel:ok:

[i:0384177da3]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:0384177da3]

• Posted

Reading positive comments like this is really helpful, so thanks a lot! The spectre of possibly having a colostomy sometime in the future was a horrifying thought for me. I don't think it is going to happen, unless my symptoms get far worse, but it is really reassuring to know that it is not such a big deal and it does make a difference to how you feel. Thanks!:ok:

[i:969e4995e0]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:969e4995e0]

• Posted

I had horrid pain March 17th of this yr and went to small ER near my home where they did a X-ray said I was severely constipated and sent me home to go buy a enema and suppository did not even do it there well long story short I just got worse my hubby was not in town so I drove my self to a REAL ER at the hospital and in 15 min I was in emergency surgery due to a ruptured bowel and woke up in the ICU with a colostomy bag and a open wound from below my breast to my bikini line the dr did not want it closed due to the fact I was septic and was putting a wound vac on

She said a few more hrs I would be very very sick as it was I was in ICU 8 days and 7 on the othe floor just got the wound vac taken off it seems to be healing well

I'm still in denial about the colostomy bag I guess I have the hardest time with leaking and stuff I can't wait for my revearsale the dr says I need to have a colonoscopy first before she puts me thru another surgery

Only to find out something else is going on. She's pretty sure my bowel ruptured from my being on large amount of pain meds the past 25 yrs due to a chronic pain disorder I have and the mismanagement of my constipation meds they were supposed to be giving me. It sure helps reading these stories from all you others

Thanks and God Bless You all

Malia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.