Ok, here we go again!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ok, been on cit for 9 weeks for panic and anxiety. This was brought on by a cough and a chest x ray which was clear!! Was doing really well but still had some chest pain and shortness of breath. Went to see GP today about it and she then decided to test me for emphysema. I have now gone into panic mode again and don't know what to do. I still have some diazepam which I have just taken to try and calm me down.  Really fed up now as I can't have the tests until next week so a, worried I'm going to be panicking all that time. When I'm feeling like this, I cannot eat or concentrate or anything.  Help!

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey girl, my other half got diagnosed with it, and if u do have it u will get a puffer which if u use the puffer should help with all your symptoms, and I guess it helps with keeping the desease at stand still as long as it can. My sis is a respiratory doctor and deals with this on a daily basis, yes there is no cure for it, but from the sounds of it u probably just in the early stages of it which the puffer will do the trick. But they way our minds work you probably have nothing and will be all worked up for 2 weeks and than laugh it away thinking why did I do this to my self. Since u did have a chest X-ray they would of seen something on your X-ray, so try to think positive worst case u only have the beginning stages. I am here if u need to chat. Xoxoxoxo
    • Posted

Hi fb mate!!!

how old is your other half. Is or was he a smoker? 

I know, our minds just play havoc with everything. So peed off that I feel the same as I did a few weeks ago. Gutted!!  

Even if I do have it, I guess I can lead a fairly normal life but do need to stop the smokes! X

• Posted

Hey, he's 46 and still smokes away, he said the puffer does help him, he don't suffer from anxiety so he didn't even know he had it until a check up they did before his surgery. Be prepared if they gonna give u the test he has you will be out of air and be light headed and your chest will feel worse than it did when u first walked in. He never had chest pain but did have shortness of breath but never pain. My counsellor told us that people with anxiety and that smoke we will always get triggers off when soemtjing is wrong with our chest, because we smoke and automatically think it's smoke related and think the worst "c"... but to maybe ease your mind a bit when I was taking 20 I had bad chest pains sometimes they got so bad I thought my lungs were gonna explode, I had all the testing done and nothing, so they diagnosed it with muscle tension from the pill. When I moved to 30 it went away but then moved to my legs, lol. Since ure gonna we out of it most likely till you get your results back and if u can't eat, if u guys have it down there try carnation meal replacement it comes in powder packets, it's amazing and it will give u what u need for the day. I been doing that in morning and it has made a huge difference I also got my self a b12 spray that I take every morning, it has done wonders for me, they say low b12 is linked to anxiety and depression. If you guys don't sell it down there or super expensive I can send u some to try. Hope ure getting some rest now.. xoxo

• Posted

Hiya. I've since seen another doctor, absolutely refuse to see the first one again!  He couldn't see any reason why I would have emphysema as I don't present in the way he would think i would. He thinks the other doc is being over cautious. He's put my mind at rest a bit but as I've got myself into a paddy again, am struggling to calm myself down, just like at the beginning!  I did eat tonight so that's a good sign. I have this stuff called complain which is a meal replacement...but it's bloody revolting! Still hold my nose and drink and should be ok 😂

I am toying with the idea of going to 30. Do you now feel better on that? 

At least your chest pain has gone! X

• Posted

Hey buddy, yes I feel much better in 30. Only issue now is the afternoon naps which I can avoid and I am not so tired any more, my morning tummy is totaly gone and my anxiety has pretty much gone the odd minute it will pop up than just go. I still feel lack of energy don't know why like not tired but just super lazy where I do t wanna do anything, not depressed but just super relaxed and content at staying at home doing nothing. Hope ure getting better xoxo

• Posted

hi Sanja. You sound so much better.  Ok so you're super chilled out but would much rather be like that than angsty!!  I remember being like that the first time I was o. It for post natal depression, just chilled, tired and lazy. Was annoying but rather that than anything else! 

I've been a bit better today, haven't had to resort to a diazepam, but still nervy and short of breath which make sure me more nervy. Chest pain still there but not bad, just there in the background.  I think that's what's making me anxious to be honest.

how are you today? X

• Posted

Hi, It's more than likely just your anxiety that are causing these symptoms.  I was having chest pain but having had previous check-up knew my heart was was ok so didn't let my mind run away with me, so just put it down to the anxiety.  It made me so tight chested.  I also had upper abdominal pains and was worrying about that.  They have now gone thankfully but if you mention these things to your doctor they need to check them.  They can't be seen to be negligent. Sure it will be the anxiety.  No point saying 'stop worrying' because that doesn't help but at least try and be realistic and not let your mind run away with you. xx

• Posted

Thsnk you! My doctor was awful from the moment I walked in. First thing she said was, you have 10 mins. And straight away, she gave me inhalers and booked me for the test. She didn't want to know basically. She didn't even check my heart rate or chest! She's managed to out the fear of god in me again which I really didn't need after having almost recovered!! I don't want to see her again, will go see another doctor! X

• Posted

Hi Debbie, definately change doctors.  I changed doctors recently and my new doctor (male and about 60) is so much nicer, my previous doctor was a women similair age to me (mid 40s). He has more time for me and gives me more confidence in what he has prescribed.  He spent 1/2 hr with me first time I saw him. Sounds like your doctor has no time for you and just wants to pass you on to someone else.  Good luck with your tests.  I'm sure they will be fine - just like your x-ray. x 

• Posted

Hi Anna.

I've just seen another doctor who was much better. He basically said that he can see no reason for me having emphysema but the other doctor is just covering her butt! Not his words I hasten to add!

He made me take both inhalers that the other doc gave me there and then as I was worried about taking them as the blue one can cause more anxiety, just what I need!! As I'm so would up today anyway not sure if it's me or the inhaler!!! All these blips!! So upset as I was doing so well and just one silly comment from her has sent me flying backwards. I am still having the test just to make sure and have to take those inhalers until then! Doc has just given me some diazepam to get me through although not keen on taking them, they do help!

Do you feel better now? I'm in my phone typing this so can't have a good look at your progress! X

• Posted

Hi Debbie, Glad you got to see another doctor.  Hope you're feeling less anxious about it now.  They aways cover there butts lol. I'm generally better thanks but do have some off days.  I've been on 20 mg for 5 weeks so still relatively early days.  My physical symptoms of anxiety have almost gone but hoping that my mood improves as the weeks go on.  I've had some 'normal' days so this gives me hope.  It's months rather than weeks they say.  Other people say it took 3 mnths to feel completely their old selves.

Stay positive.  It's normal to worry about your health.  I do it all the time but mostly when my anxiety is at it's worst.

Take care xx

• Posted

Hi Anna. Yes so am I, he has put my mind at rest somewhat but the thought is still lurking at the back of my mind! I need a head transplant!!!

i had some great weeks and then got my monthlies which kicked it all off again, not nowhere near as bad as the beginning, but still angsty. I'm 9 weeks in and have definitely been great until that damn doctor put the fear of god in me!!! I've never suffered anxiety before all this and wouldn't wish it on anyone to be honest. Its horrendous! 

Glad you're feeling better, everyone is different and we all recover at different times...just wish it was sooner. I took citalopram a few years ago for post natal depression and I was right as rainwithin a couple of days. This time is a totally different experience and am blaming the anxiety as I guess that's one of the strongest feelings x

Take care too, let me know how you go xx

• Posted

Hi Debbie, I've been feeling pretty angsty the last couple of days but my monthlies are due.  Did you feel better again after them?

I suffered from anxiety 5 years ago after a difficult patch in my life.  I took Fluoxetine last time, which worked great, but stupid me stopped taking it after 2 months because I felt better.  This time 5 years on after another difficult patch I tried the Flouxetine which made me feel up the wall with anxiety, so I stopped.  That's when my new doctor suggested Citaolpram, which I'm going to stick with for at least 6 mnths.

I also suffered postnatal depression with my first child, but ok with my second.  I think I need to learn how to cope with life's difficulties better.

Thanks for your thoughts.  It really helps to talk to someone who understand what it feels like. xx

• Posted

Hi Anna

i started feeling angsty again about 2 days before period started and then it subsided over about a week to just a stupid nervy tummy in the mornings.  

As I've said, I've been fine really until that doctor scared me and now feel a bit back to square one but not right back to square one, that was horrific.  I'm hoping it's a blip and once ive had these tests done I will then be ok again. I guess I'm worried that whenever I have a health issue, I will panic again!  Our minds are definitely complicated things. 

Youre right, we have to be able to cope with things in life. I did before, no problem, but for some reason, this has really thrown me.  I was thinking it might be the menopause but the doc said as I have regular periods it's not likely. But I thought you could be peri menopausal and still have regular periods??!! I know nothing lol.

it definitely helps to talk to someone who understands. Before I found this forum, I honestly thought I was going mental and they would take me away!  This forum saved my sanity and also made me carry on taking the cit as I'm sure I would have stopped before now. My doc did not say it may take weeks or months to feel better, just gave the prescription and said off you go! I know they're busy but they are dealing with people's lives here!

Keep chatting, I'm always lurking around !!! X

• Posted

Hi Debbie, I also thought it may be menopausal (I'm 45) and mentioned it to my doctor but like you he said if you have a regular cycle then it's not.  I said could I be peri-menopausal (wasn't actually sure what this meant) and he said peri-menopausal is when you start missing periods or having irregular periods.  Anyway I'm sure I read somewhere that some people take Citaolpram to help with menopausal symptoms as it regulates hormones, which can only be a good thing. I basically just overthink everything.  I think that's a common trait with people that suffer with anxiety.  People say I seem really laid back but it's just all going on in my head.

I think I also would have stopped taking Cit if I hadn't found this website. My Doctors nice but he didn't give me much info just said these should work well for you.

I come on this website a couple of times a day so always happy to chat

Best wishes

Anna xx

• Posted

Hi Anna

ive been reading about peri menopause and a lot of it makes sense, the anxiety, hormones, shortness of breath, it's all there. Perhaps hrt may work but not sure you can go on that if they don't think you are menopausal! 

Yes I over think everything too, from the moment I wake up. It's mad! I've tried telling the cbt counsellor that I wake up with it and she didn't have an answer for that. How the hell do you stop waking up with i??!!  

What dose cit are you on again? I'm sure you've said before but my head isn't where it should be right now! I am doing everything that I normally do but everyone says I'm too quiet, not like my normal chatty self.  I am thinking  of going up to 30mg but not overly keen.  I also get a fast heart rate when nervy and the inhaler that that horrid doc gave me makes anxiety worse which she did warn me about so everytime I puff on that, off I go again! If she hadn't mentioned it, I would have probably not thought about it!!!! Just want to swear lol

anyway, how are you today? X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.