Ok to take citalopram and piriton?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, 

Had bad hayfever today and an allergic reaction to apple juice! I was going to take a piriton but I know it can cause drowsiness and my citalopram already makes me sleepy. 

Citalopram instructions say not to take "certain antihistamines (astemizole, mizolastine)" and piriton is ctive ingredient is "4mg cholphenamine maleate" . . .  

Anyone asked doc/pharmacist about this before? 

Thanks,

anonymousgirl

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anonymousgirl

Having recently reduced my citalopram dose considerably I appreciate how much the citalopram was contributing to my fatigue. I also remember taking piriton for heyfever before I was on citalopranm and this made me feel very drowsy when I was drivinng on holiday so I should imagine the combination could make you exceptionally sleepy and perhaps not good for much especially driving. I have taken Loratodine for hey fever for many years also available at Pharmacies or supermarkets. This is meant to be none drowsy and works fine with citalopram so suggest you give that one a try.

• Posted

Hi Carol, 

Thanks for this and for replying so quickly. I didn't see it and I just took a piriton now but I am going to bed so hoping drowsiness will just help me sleep and not affect me the next day. 

Will try loratodine in future. 

Had planned on driving tomorrow evening and night (not for too long) but perhaps I won't based on your advice. I will see how I am in the morning and throughout the day.

The other day I was driving without the handbrake down and I didn't realise even though I parked up and drove again. My brother had to tell me it was the handbrake, I was shocked I had made the mistake twice and still didn't realise.I was worried I had gotten a flat tyre coming off the curb. 

So I guess I should be extra weary now because that kind of showed me I shouldn't have been driving that day. I think it's just in the last few days I've become to appreciate how tired citalopram can make you feel and that it's not just me being depressed/unmotivated/lacking energy. Think I will talk to doc about it before getting next month's worth. 

Thanks for your advice. I will let you know how I get on. 

anonymousgirl x

• Posted

Hi Amy, 

As I said last night, I took the piriton in the end. It did make me very very drowsy but I just went to bed as it was that time of night anyways. Still woke up in the middle of the night and initially felt very tired getting up today but I'm fine now.

Maybe it was silly taking it last night as I was going to be asleep so the symptoms wouldn't bother me anyways but it helped me get to sleep ultra fast so I guess it was no harm. 

Will try and find a different one for during the daytime though as it wouldn't be good to be that drowsy during the day.I will remember your suggestion of Loratodine and see what medications are available in my pharmacy that are non-drowsy! 

Thanks!

anonymousgirl  smile 

• Posted

*Sorry, I meant Carol, I was using nearly the same reply as I had written to Amy so I forgot to change it! 

• Posted

Hi i recently had severe heat rash, i was prescribed allergy relief tablets which contained cirtrizine (not sure if thats the correct spelling!) and steroid cream and they worked brilliantly. If ur unsure check with a pharmacist. my little boy has piriton and i was tempted to take some of that but didnt as i know how sleepy it makes him

hope you find something that works for you

x

• Posted

Hi Amy, 

Took the piriton in the end. It did make me very sleepy but I was heading to bed so it didn't really matter. It did make me very very drowsy but I just went to bed. Still woke up in the middle of the night and initially felt very tired getting up today but I'm fine now.

Maybe it was silly taking it last night as I was going to be asleep so the symptoms wouldn't bother me anyways but it helped me get to sleep ultra fast so I guess it was no harm. 

Will try and find a different one for during the daytime though as it wouldn't be good to be that drowsy during the day.I will remember your suggestion! 

Thanks! smile 

• Posted

Hi anonymousgirl, 

I asked at a pharmacy last month if piriton was ok with citalopram, and yes the piriton "cetririzine hydrochloride" is fine, hope this helps! ( I am always panicking about taking meds with citalopram!! 

Hayley 

• Posted

Hi Hayley, 

Thanks for that! I definitely didn't have any adverse effects of taking them together anyways, except drowsiness! So I still might try and find a non-drowsy one for daytime. Hayfever not affecting me so much last few days, the day it was bad I was in a park all day and walking through woods so it got really bad!! 

Thanks for your information though! 

anonymousgirl

• Posted

Hi anonymousgirl. Usual thing last night to bed at 12 and I was fully awake and wandering around the house at 1.30. Then I remembered I had some diazepam which I had for flying. 10mg and I had my first nights sleep for nearly three weeks. Feel so much better this morning although a bit drowzy which is wearing off. I've actually planned some things to do today. No more diazepam left but I am hoping that it might have kicked started my sleeping, Fingers crossed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.