OK, we need some advise on 50% car tax?

Posted , 4 users are following.

50% car tax discount?

Seems the DVLA do not have any criteria for the new 50% car tax rule with the DWP.  

Government went ahead with PIP leaving out the inforstructure for many of the new PIP criteria rules.   (It's a shambles) I've read some horiffic stories from people trying to claim the 50% reduction in car tax from the DVLA.

Would anyone have experience of claiming the 50% reduction in car tax? We, need some guidance on how to change from free car tax to 50% car tax with Standard rate mobility on PIP

Help!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I adviced you what you need to do a few days ago. You can't not tax your car using the 50% reduction any other way than sending off your log book, payment by cheque/postal order and proof of PIP award to DVLA, You'll also need a form from the post office i believe because your tax is disabled at the moment. There's really no info about this on the internet. I know what to do because i qualified for this discount before i got Enhanced mobility PIP. Your car will not be taxed until you send everything off.

• Posted

You could always ring DVLA and ask, this is another option. I couldn't find any info about this when i first claimed Standard mobility so i simply just rang them. They told me what i needed to do in less than 1 minute. Hope this helps smile

• Posted

You'll also need the original MOT certificate.

• Posted

Sorry for all the posts but i can't edit them. Is the car registered in the disabled persons name? If it is then you can claim this 50% discount, if it's not then you won't be able to claim this discount.

This was taken from the gov website......To claim the 50% reduction the vehicle must be :

Registered in the disabled person’s name or their nominated driver’s name.

It must be only be used for the disabled person’s personal needs. That means the vehicle can’t be used by the nominated driver for their own personal use.

You can only have one vehicle tax exemption or reduction at any one time.

You can apply for the 50% reduction  if you get the:

Standard Rate mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

If you are entitled to the 50% discount, then you can ONLY obtain this by sending the appropriate paperwork to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1DZ.

• Posted

Car is registered in my name, not in the PIP claimant (My Wife's) name.

Seems to be able in getting this 50% reduction is going to be a nightmare; and I've heard of people having to send all their documentation to the DVLA every time the car tax becomes due? 

I'm considering changing back to paying the full car tax?  as I'm not sure I'd cope with the hassle of the  claiming process every year.

I assume I just need to send my vehicle registration documents back to the DVLA for a change in the disabled section; back to normal taxation class?

• Posted

Yes you would need to send off all documents every time the tax is due. It's not an issue though and is really very easy. You will need a V10 form from the post office though.

Your taxation class needs to be changed anyway before you can tax it yourself, so whichever way you look at it you'll need to send off the log book. You can't tax a disabled taxed car because of the taxation class.

Like i said it's no hassle, just send all the documents needed for the 50% reduction, they send everything back to you. Just deduct the 50% of the payment. I know i'd rather do this than have to pay full amount expecially if your car isn't cheap to tax.

• Posted

About £160 a year - I think?  Sending all documentation for car and wife's pip paperwork off in the post every year is a real pain; not sure I want to do that every year!   Surley the DVLA could (or should) issue a yearly code for pip benefit claimants to tax their vehicles at a post office?    

• Posted

That's your choice but i had to do that and i didn't find it a problem. Anything to save money because it all adds up. Besides it's just once a year. Whether they should or not they haven't and probably won't anytime soon. To be honest i thought the taxation class would change on the log book to disabled but it doesn't, it remained the same. You have to send off the log book anyway to change the taxation class so it's well worth just adding the evidence to the evelope to get this first year 50% reduction at least. Anyway hope i've helped to answer your questions smile

• Posted

yes I agree,  I'm going to send all necassary documentation to DVLA 50% for our vehicle is £95.  Or £190 for 100%  at least we'll save £95.

I believe I need to write PETROL in section 7, and sign on bottom left section 8,  of log book V5'c  also need form V10 from post office, along with the award letter from DWP; and of-course a cheque for payment.

Thanks Denise,  you have been extremely helpful; it's truly appreciated.

M....

• Posted

Very sensible decision! I too would claim that 50% discount, i'm glad i managed to change your mind. Yes that's correct you'll also need a current valid MOT certificate. You're very welcome, always happy to help smile

• Posted

Hi. Just to add something on the subject. If you are changing from full to 50% road tax and you are owed back more than you need to re-tax, you will still need to send the full amount of the new 50% rate. They will not deduct it from what"s owing back. Ta.

• Posted

There won't be anything owing because Nytsom was claiming free road tax because of a previous high rate DLA mobility award.

• Posted

Just a bit more info. Received tax rebate last week, received v5 this week, just waiting now for the MOT and PIP notice i sent to arrive (if they doo) Makes you panick when you don"t see them all together.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.