Okay here's my story my broken ankle

Posted , 6 users are following.

For those of you who don't know I broke my ankle in two spots on the fibula and they put it back together I was supposed to stay off of it I didn't stay off of it it open the wound back up it got infected it's gotten bigger since my last week appointment I'm really nervous because my dad's diabetic and I'm pretty sure I'm a diabetic i eat a lot of sugar and next week I will find out I will also go to the surgeon and we will decide if I'm going to have surgery again and have to start all over because I didn't stay off of my foot . the plate that he put in me is going inWord toward my bone works like bulging out in my bone that's why my leg is hurting so he thinks he's probably going to have to remove the hardware and then I'll have to go back to surgery a splint and then go back to a cast and go on from there it's a real big headache and infected right now and I'm scared to death I'm going to lose my leg and my dad's diabetic and I'm sure I'm diabetic I eat aot of sugar so I find out next week and find out about the surgery next week so everything rest on next week but if my doctor says I'm going to have surgery I will have surgery I will have surgery in like a day or two and have to start this all over again so I'm just paranoid about losing my leg though it looks like it has widened but it's trying to close up but it's yellow and so I'm not sure if that yellow stuff is good but I'm taking antibiotics so wish me luck and the moral to this story is stay off of your way if any way possible because if not you'll be where I am and it's been 5 weeks since my surgery my doctors wanted to wait to till next week because he's trying to let my leg heal as long as it can before he takes out the hardware needless to say he's not very happy with me

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sorry you're going through all this, you are really paying for your mistake. Your doctor might not be happy with you but he will still be doing his very best for you. I wish you luck when you have your surgery again. Being non weight bearing is a nightmare, I hated it but I'm sure you will resist the temptation from now on. Keep us up to date on how you are doing and best wishes to you.

• Posted

Sorry to hear this but you know what you have to do to give yourself a chance. Regarding your suspected diabetes can you not get it checked out. Best to cut the sugar if you are are aware that you are consuming too much.

Health is not something you can buy buy over the counter as we all know and when we no longer have it it can destroy our lives so it is very precious!

Take care. Richard

• Posted

I listen to dr was off 12 weeks. Sorry you  have to go back in.  My wound healed pretty good.  Using meladerma too. 
  • Posted

Hi stepanie, 

Don't beat yourself up to much.  I guess now you know the importance of not messing what the professional tells you to do.  Its so important to follow all of these things to get you better. No need to repeat what everyone is saying to you. I think you've learned a valuable lesson! 

Take care and let us know how you are doing.

Rose

• Posted

HEy. My wound opened back up also and had yellow scab. It's been 3 months since it opened back up and it still haven't closed with skin. The spot is hard tho. The hardware is irritating to me. My doc is talking about taking it out. What happened to you may not be all your fault. It can be other medical problems. I'm depressed that my ankle is still swollen and hurt but not infected. 

• Posted

Well from what I've heard of if you have yellow stuff sloughing out then it is infected because it has its infected if it has yellow or green stuff slopping out. And tonight I've done something really crazy I've decided maybe it would help if I buy one of those sleeves that go on your ankle well I didn't think about it that it's going to be tight with the dressing to and so I work for I don't know about 3 hours and then all the sudden my foot was hurting real bad and then I realized that I still had that sleeve on and so I took it off in my foot was like purplish and so I took it off and got my cousin to rub it and stuff and then I rub lotion on it and stuff and finally got them what feeling I have back in it but then it's real sore because today I I was getting on my scooter and the right before I got on my scooter I hit my toe on my bad foot and toe it hurts and it's so I can imagine it really hurts if I had full feeling and then I was outside and I was smoking and ants were biting me and so I went to go scratch where they had bit and it was right on my sore but mine looks pretty good I think I don't know if it does or not but I'm real worried about it I wish this site let you post pictures because I really like to see how yours looks compared to mine

• Posted

And this next go-around I pretty much got to do with the doctor tells me because he said my ankles going to be very weak because it's going to not be fully well yet and then I will have surgery again and then when I come out I won't have any hardware holding it together so I have pretty much got to stay off of it I don't really have a choice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.