Okay, really would like some help on this. But don't know if anyone knows. Does anybody feel the dif

Posted , 3 users are following.

I really to know if Im the only one who notices the difference between different kind of brands of Gabapentin? Because I will take a Gabapentin, and I will feel it. But then I will take a different kind of Gabapentin just different brand oh, and to me it just does not work is good. For example I have one pill that says ZE / 71. Then I have a different kind that is blue and says R/ 637. Those are the kind I like. But there is this other brand, and they are Gabapentin 800, but those says s / G on them, now when I take those I do not feel them as well as the other brand. Does anybody know the difference, or what I really want to know can anyone else relate to me? Like are some Brands stronger than the other? Please don't think this is a stupid question, just asking. Thanks for reading

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Well, you found the right person to answer here. Welcome to my VERY exclusive club. YES! It took me a while to realize that what was happening was due to the change in generic manufacturers. I'll preface this by saying that when I first noticed this 10 months ago, I didn't know as much about gab as I do now, so I can fill you in. Generics are not all equal. The active ingredient must be the same, but there is a tolerance, or allowable difference of a few percent, I think about 3%, either way. So one company may give you 3% more of the drug, the next one 3% less which is actually a 6% difference. They also may have other fillers which affect you differently. According to my pharmacist, meds, like gab, which act on the brain can cause problems with even slight differences. I won't go into all the details about how gab works on the brain (neurons, bioavailability etc.) but as you change the dosage you can go through a type of withdrawal as it decreases or having to adjust as it increases. Got it?

It took me several weeks to figure out it was the med. I was taking 700 mg 3 times a day, but used a 600 mg capsule and one 100 mg capsule to get that dosage. I never thought that changing that 100 mg capsule could cause problems. However, now that I'm tapering (decreasing) I get the same WD symptoms, increasing pain, fatigue, confusion, memory issues etc.  I spent several weeks, waiting several days between changes, to verify it was the new pill. I was feeling so lousy and the only difference was the manufacturer in the pill.

After that I made sure that I got ONLY Aurobindo as my manufacturer. I don't know if you're in the US, but on your prescription they will list in tiny letters who your manufacturer is. Talk to your pharmacy about getting ONLY that brand. They usually change to whichever is cheaper, but when you explain you can't tolerate the other, they should understand. In my case, my pharmacy stopped using that supplier so I had to switch pharmacies.

If I may make a suggestion. Consider switching to 600 mg capsules or tablets so if you want to taper, you can do so by 100 mg doses. IF you do want to decrease (as you seem as sensitive to it as I am) you need to do so exceedingly slowly. The suggestion from those familiar with this is 10% every 4 weeks. I do 10% every 8 weeks to have fewer side effects.

Good luck. Post again if you have anymore questions.  P.S. it's absolutely NOT a stupid question, you're very astute and tuned into your body. I wonder how many others have this problem but never put two and two together.

• Posted

I only take 300 mg 3x a day and mine says D 03. I never had any other brand but you bring up something interesting!. Good luck and stay well.

• Posted

I'm in a different group and others there have had the same problem. As I mentioned, who knows how common it is, as most people won't even consider that's the problem. When it comes to tapering off the drug, I know people who only drop 1-5%, as they are so sensitive to it.  Lorraine, I figured you use Aurobindo, as that's what my 300 mg capsules say and yes, if you search that online, drugs.com will show you the manufacturer and it's Aurobindo.

• Posted

Thank you for that information. I will look it up as it could be helpful. Thank you again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.