Okay...Valerian doesn’t work for me!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Any ideas where to next?

300mg an hour before bed, doesn’t even make me sleepy, in fact, may have reverse effect!

Considering Valerian with Passion flower from H&B...any views ?

Acute insomnia for years now, don’t know what to try anymore for an undisturbed more than 4 hour sleep???

Jx

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I found that when I was at my worst in hormones declining, like when my periods were getting lighter and estrogen declining, I could not sleep at all.  I was a zombie full of anxiety and night sweats.  A full year.  I was a mess.  The only thing that helped was recently I started taking some estrogen while I wait for an appointment for prescription bioidenticals.  It is a safe natural estriol (I also take progesterone) that is over the counter.  I slept like a baby the first night.  I now fall asleep normally and I actually get sleepy like a normal person and sleep soundly.  It is amazing.  I also take 500 mg of magnesium and a natural sleep aid that has herbs and a bit of melatonin.  But before the estrogen, nothing helped.  I just felt herbally drugged but no sleep.  You might be estrogen dominant if you aren't taking progesterone, so only take estrogen if you have a test showing that you are deficient.  Progesterone is a calming hormone that most women are deficient in starting after age 35, so you could take alone and it should help as well.  Found online and in most natural health stores.  

• Posted

Hi Casey...Wow! Lots of useful info, Thank you

I'm a slim fit 60 year old, but probably didn't hit menopause until last year...yes late...but have had sleep issues for more years than can recall!

Firstly, I'll need to have tests to find out about my hormone levels?

Please may I ask which magnesium you take at 500mg,as can cause tummy problems, and which Sleep Aid please?  I think you must be American as we cannot buy melatonin in GB!

Happy you found some relief ... envious too!

• Posted

I'm sure your GP can test your hormone levels, but at 60, you more than likely need estrogen replacement.  I would def get tested so you have the ability to get some bio-identical (don't go synthetic, comes from pregnant horse urine and our bodies don't synthesize it correctly).  Magnesium tabets hurt my tummy too ,so I use a liquid magnesium, try Amazon.  I mix it in a little water and peppermint oil before bed and it really helps me "go" in the morning.    My sleep aid is called Sleep and Restore, again, Amazon smile.  

• Posted

Thank you once again, Casey

I'll look out for liquid magnesium on A, as 300mg is quite enough for my tummy!

Sleep and Restore...I'll do a search.

Thanks so much smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.