Olanzapine Advice

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have just been prescribed 2.5mg a night of Olanzapine to control my mood, I have depression, anxiety and some traits of Borderline Personality Disorder. Recently I have been feeling very low with extreme suicidal thoughts. I'm desperate to stop feeling this way but everything I've read about this drug online makes me scared to take it. I took my first dose last night and feel very groggy today. I am also taking 100mg of trazodone a night.

My main worry is that this drug can cause neutropenia. I already have on off mild neutropenia. At the moment I am at a normal level of 2.1 (normal range is 2-8) but will this drug cause that to drop? I told the pschiatrist of my illness but it still seems possibly dangerous for me to be on a drug that can cause neutropenia in people that have no history of it.

Any advice on the neutropenia or generally about olanzapine, it's effectiveness for low mood and mood swings, side effects, weight gain, diabetes etc would be greatly appreciated. I know all drugs have possible side effects but the list on this drug seems very scary.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Katherine, I can't comment on neutropenia but I was on Olanzapine 7.5mg for quite some time and it really helped my anxiety and depression but my new psych took me off it and I relapsed, now on Quetiapine and Brintellix.

• Posted

Hi Katherine, I can't comment on neutropenia but I was on Olanzapine 7.5mg for quite some time and it really helped my anxiety and depression but my new psych took me off it and I relapsed, now on Quetiapine and Brintellix.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.