Olanzapine and venlafaxine with hardly any emotions

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone. Have possibly posted previously but need advice. I'm taking 75mg of venlafaxine and 7.5mg of olanzapine. Struggling to think, have hardly any emotions towards daughter and close family and have noticed difficulty moving from one thought to another as if there is a time lag. All of this is causing extreme anxiety and I don't know what to do. Does anyone know if either of these meds can cause this? Seeing my psych nurse in the morning and would so appreciate help as I feel I'm going out of my mind. Not functioning well and finding conversation difficult and using the wrong words at times too.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I was on olanzapine for almost twenty years 20 milligrams almost killed me! I have been detoxing for almost a year! And have been through hell! I suggest you find out exactly why they are giving you these meds! Because I woke up 20 years later only to find I had been miss diagnosed! I will never be the same! Read all about what other people have been through! And unless you have a bad case of schizophrenia? I would probably change Doctors! Take care of yourself! You are not alone! These medications are scary! And you will have hell to pay just trying to get off them! God Bless

• Posted

I've been on both for chronic migraines. I was up to 225mg of venlafaxine a few years ago but due to high blood pressure and weight gain I went off of it. I did not experience the feelings that you have. I remember not crying during that timeframe but overall being happy and didn't really get anxious or stressed out. I was on olanzapine for just a month at 2.5mg to try to break a migraine cycle. I did not have a great experience with it and in my opinion may be what's causing your issues. But medicines definitely affect people differently. I had a horrible time after quitting olanzapine and I was at the lowest dose. Much worse than when I did a fast taper off of venlafaxine.

How long have you been on both? It does take time for some of the side effects to go away and the medication to "work" too. I would suggest that if you end up stopping one or both that you go slowly. As I mentioned, I went off of 2.5 mg of olanzapine after using it for one month and ended up having horrible withdrawal symptoms for almost 3 months.

Good luck and I hope that you feel better!

• Posted

I have been on 150mg of ven, 45 of mirtazapine, 10mg of diazepam and 2.5 mg of olanazpine all together. So 3 sedatives and did not really experience what you described.

I came off olanapine with a liquid taper last year and it was not easy. I am now reducing mirtazapine with a liquid taper am at 20mg. These are serous meds. Withdrawal is very hard and lengthy.

The psychs just hand them out like smarties withno idea how they will effect us and how we will get off. It is russian roulette.

Please be careful. Olanapine is for psychosis not general use

• Posted

Hi Sarah. I have been diagnosed with Bipolar 2 and the olanzapine is to act as a mood stabilizer so that I don't go hypomanic again. Had hypomania last year which was followed by really bad depression and anxiety. Was misdiagnosed with depression last year but when I became hypomanic this year again, followed by severe depression a new psychiatrist diagnosed Bipolar 2. Was given antidepressant and olanzapine to help stabilise me. Thank you for your reply.

• Posted

Surprising meds choice. Olanzapine is for mania and psychosis. Bp2 meds should be lamotrigine, tegretol etc. You can t stay on olanzapine for life but if you BP2 you will need meds for life.

I am not a doctor but i do work in mental health and i would google mood stableisers.

• Posted

One of the main reasons I quit Zyprexa, besides the ridiculous weight gain, was because I left me feeling flat so much of the time, no emotion at all. Caused me to dissociate from myself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.