olanzapine any1??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I'm currently taking lithium have been for 3yrs. Iv just been really ill for the past 8months as I needed AD which didn't suit. .pdr has now prescribed olanzapine on top says AD dnt seem to be working. Depression has been so bad of late feeling life isn't worth having at all.. forever battling weight because of meds is making so much worst my pdr knows this . And now I read this med is evil with gaining weight for all different reasons. Pls help any input at all will be a great help .

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

sharon, that is a completly different class of drugs. you are getting into some heavy stuff there. if you are hearing voices or in phycosis then you may need it. you will also gain weight on this drug. It really works for people who need it..... just saying..... but you might want to ask him about another mood stabilizer, like depakote. and an antidepressant like wellbutrin or celexa?  i did not read your profile, so you may have tried all of this. i felt tired on lithium and crummy. that was 20 years ago.......  i am still on meds, but you just have to keep trying to get the right thing. what AD were you on that did not work if you mind me asking?  there are soooo many options before you jump to AP.  just a thought. good luck to you.
    • Posted

Hi .. I saw my pdr Tues I expressed strongly I don't want this drug.. he wouldn't listen.. I don't hear voices. Just my own constantly. I don't no what to do anymore.. all I get is there's not much choice of drug in the uk.. this that isn't legal.. its US drug .. I'm frightened I'm not gona lie told my gp I'm not gonna take it.. he talked me into giving it ago. Iv been so depressed lately & manic . Why couldnt he give me flouoxidine it gos with lithium.. my gp hands are tied.. I'm a single parent struggling so much.. why doesn't this profession care 😕

• Posted

He makes me feel more of a looser for these meds not working. I feel he patronises me.. & feel quite intimadated .. I cnt change him either. . Because I just changed the last 1 after changing him to her .. 👊👊👊

• Posted

absolutely. Fuloxitine ( prozac)  with lithium......    it's cheap and it will work...   you know, just patronize him and take the AP for a few nights for sleep and then stop. maybe he would give you the prozac if you did that. jesus. that is ridiculous. can you not go to a Nurse Practitioner, or even the ER?  God i hate docs like this. 

• Posted

My gp is on my side . Just need the evidence that iv tried it &;it's not working.. then my gp will contact him.. no1 can over ride the pdr by the looks of things. I want to discharge myself.. that's my next step of action..if this makes me ill also!! I feel like iv been poisoned over the past 9 months. Everyone just looks at me simple..I have read off a medical report .. mirtazapine & venlafaxine should not be given along side lithium.. so after the mirt made me so ill &;suicidal why put me on venlafaxine which has done the same. Really I feel like banging my Headon a brick wall 😕

• Posted

My son has gained 100 pounds but psych doctor wont let him off of it. Going to get legal councel he is not involuntary. He should be able to stop taking it but not until he is off court supervision 10 years from now. Its all about money and control. My son and I find no science behind mental disorders or psychiatry. Resperidal Consta is making him sick and loss of self.
  • Posted

I'm not sure where you come from Sharon. I'm in the UK. About 10yrs ago while I was an inpatient, I was put on olanzapine. At that stage i didn't have a diagnosis and I don't think I was psychotic. I can't really remember much about that time. However, I do remember that after starting it, I would eat and eat and eat and eat. I would even eat foods I hated. I would have second portions and eat the other patients leftovers. Within 2 weeks my mum had to beg my consultant to give me a couple of hours day release to get me new clothes. My jeans had became so right that the waist band had actually cut into my skin. I went from a UK size 12 to a 16/18 in 2 weeks. I actually refused to take it anymore as that feeling of ALWAYS being starving, I just couldn't handle it and I didn't have willpower. This may not be what you want to hear, but that was my experience. I hope they find the right set of meds for you. Thinking about you xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.